Why become a member? ×

4 or 8 Ohms...WIll I be able to hear the difference?

jackers

Personally I'd suggest going with an 8Ohm 212 if weight/size is an issue, they'll be louder than 210s and smaller and lighter than 410s. Going 8Ohm also allows you to add another at a later date, though if you get the right cab, that shouldn't be an issue. I've never struggled using one of my GK NEO212s at any gig from small acoustic shows to outdoor festivals.

The model of cab is more important than the speaker configuration though. I'm sure there's 1x10s out there that can go louder than some 4x10s. Speaker config is only useful for a rule of thumb impression, it's by no means definitive.

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1358077126' post='1932598']
cheers guys :) some very helpful stuff here. The main reason for the question about the 410/210 option is because my car won't fit 2 410s in it without some serious tetris-ing :P
I am currently tempted by an ampeg 410he and 210av pair, or maybe the tech 21 B410 in the for sale section to go with my Landmark head. Anyone got experience with the 410he paired with a 210av?
[/quote]

Yes, sounded really nice together. The 210AV breaks up a bit easier than the 410HE, so you get a really nice driven Ampeg sound (in fact I preferred the sound of the 210AV for this reason). Have to be careful with the lows though - not being the deepest of cabs they can fart/blurb a bit if you put too much into them.

TimR hit the nail on the head about the 4ohm cab. You dont know yet how much volume you will need. I use two GK 4x10 MBE's both rated at 8 ohms, but when the venue is small I just take one of them. Ok less power, but I dont need it in a small venue anyway. You could buy just one 8ohm cab and later if needed I'd recommend a GK 2x10 or 2x12 (MBE) as a second cab - but make sure it is also rated 8 ohms. Using an 8ohm with a 4ohm together can cause amp problems as the ohmage comes down to approximately 3, and the amp can run hot or even worse overheat and breakdown. Correct ohmage is very important.

The GK's are nice and light too - important to you I understand.

Well thats my twopenneth anyway. Food for thought. All best.