Why become a member? ×

Trying to date and authenticate my Fender Custom Shop P Bass

RobTheBass

I think there's a problem still when adding attachments (the way you'd upload a picture directly from your hard drive).
The best way, always, is to host the images elsewhere (flickr and similar services allow you to do that for free, you just have to set up an account) and then display them here using the image link you describe, where you insert the URL.

Try that.

If you have problems with that, PM me, I'll give you my email address and you can just mail me the pictures, I will host them for you and give you the links to use as you please.

edit: ah, I got there too late, I see :lol:

Edited by mcnach

That decal on the back of the headstock looks like the later version, not from '94. During '94 they were the embossed versions, not decal's.

I'm assuming the certificate that it would have been issued with is long gone, which is a great shame, and will reduce value quite a bit unfortunately.

It will have clear dates on the neck heel, and in the neck pocket of the body, which will show properly the exact dates anyway.

I must say, it looks like a 2001 to me, as has already been suggested. I have a 2001 CS '51 P, but it's a different model entirely, and limited, with different serial system on the bridge plate.

Also, may be worth contacting Bootzy, as he has one;

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/116578-precisions/page__st__540"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/116578-precisions/page__st__540[/url]

He's called it a; Fender P55 P/J Custom Shop, which would be right with the contours, despite it being a top-loader.

Is yours also a top-loader, or large ferrules?

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1357829667' post='1929160']
Also, may be worth contacting Bootzy, as he has one;

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/116578-precisions/page__st__540"]http://basschat.co.u...s/page__st__540[/url]

He's called it a; Fender P55 P/J Custom Shop, which would be right with the contours, despite it being a top-loader.

Is yours also a top-loader, or large ferrules?
[/quote]
This one strings through the body

Just received this reply from Fender:

[font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]Everything looks right for a late ’94 Custom Shop bass. There’s no order number in there so this was probably made for the artist and not run through the system in the normal way. [/size][/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]Because it’s pretty much a one off I don’t have any specs I can give you, but we would say it’s a genuine 1994 Custom Shop “Custom Precision Bass”. [/size][/font]

[quote name='RobTheBass' timestamp='1357832663' post='1929234']
Just received this reply from Fender:

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Everything looks right for a late ’94 Custom Shop bass. There’s no order number in there so this was probably made for the artist and not run through the system in the normal way. [/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Because it’s pretty much a one off I don’t have any specs I can give you, but we would say it’s a genuine 1994 Custom Shop “Custom Precision Bass”. [/font]
[/quote]

I'm going to put this up for sale now in the Basses for Sale section of the site. I'm open to sensible offers on it.