Why become a member? ×

Customising and upgrading P Bass

JamesBass

Looking to upgrade and customise my cheapy Squire P Bass. It's an affinity series and I fancy giving it a bit of a face lift, thinking of doing a refinish from metallic blue to a surf green colour maybe, replacing the current neck with a maple fretboard as currently it's rosewood, thinking block inlays like the 75 Jazz. Any idea of how to get hold of a neck? Then I reckon I might change out the current pick ups, thinking either some SD's or maybe some Fender ones, this will be my number 2 bass as I'm in the process of saving for a Rickenbacker and am very close to having the full funds! This is gonna be a long project might take me up to a year just take it nice and slow I'm thinking.

Advice and thoughts most welcome.

I used the neck off a Squier VM Jazz on previous bass, finding a neck proved to be a bit difficult, in the end I bought a used VM Jazz for £150 and parted it out on ebay, I think the neck ended up costing about £50.

There's a cheap VM Jazz in the classifieds that would be perfect for a neck swap.