Why become a member? ×

1977 Stingray Bass Body with fender type neck

Fitzy73

i am looking at this bass in ireland , and i need a stingray experts help . the neck plate doesnt look right to me , and of course the neck isnt right . i was think of getting a status neck for it ,if it would fit

[url="http://www.adverts.ie/electric-basses/musicman-stingray/2476551"]http://www.adverts.ie/electric-basses/musicman-stingray/2476551[/url]

You know that it's been tampered with - wrong neck is proof of this - how do you know what's left is a real Ray and not an OLP/SUB or one of the many other Stingray copies??

I'd steer well clear, especially as you see many Bona Fide Rays for sale here for sensible money on here..

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1357330033' post='1921289']
You know that it's been tampered with - wrong neck is proof of this - how do you know what's left is a real Ray and not an OLP/SUB or one of the many other Stingray copies??

I'd steer well clear, especially as you see many Bona Fide Rays for sale here for sensible money on here..
[/quote]
I have seen this before, it has a slab body which rules out all but the original sub bodies and has a pre eb bridge and correct control plate, a photo of the pots would date the preamp and pots so the bridge, battery cover, string ferrules, preamp and controls would be worth almost as much as an ebmm stingray anyway.

77 would not have a 4 bolt neck so the plates neither here nor there and the necks worthless, refin body and a status neck anchored with a period 3 bolt plate and its a £1400 bass imo, so if you can find a cheap status neck or even a fretted/fretless pre eb neck it could be nice! Oh and it needs a pre eb pickguard which will be a £100 if and when one crops up ;)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1357330713' post='1921305']
I have seen this before, it has a slab body which rules out all but the original sub bodies and has a pre eb bridge and correct control plate, a photo of the pots would date the preamp and pots so the bridge, battery cover, string ferrules, preamp and controls would be worth almost as much as an ebmm stingray anyway.

77 would not have a 4 bolt neck so the plates neither here nor there and the necks worthless, refin body and a status neck anchored with a period 3 bolt plate and its a £1400 bass imo, so if you can find a cheap status neck or even a fretted/fretless pre eb neck it could be nice! Oh and it needs a pre eb pickguard which will be a £100 if and when one crops up ;)
[/quote]

thanks for your help cheers

Edited by Fitzy73