Why become a member? ×

Acoustic amps/speakers

lastnotleast

Are they not available in Europe? Acoustic was purchased by Guitar Center which is a national retail chain here in the states.
I believe they are made (as many things are these days) in China.

As a young drummer, my bass player used an Acoustic 360 making me perhaps a bit too comfortable with the brand.
However, having paid only $300.00 US for a B200H (200W@4ohms) head and (2) B115 (250W) cabintes, I have absolutely no complaints.

Badges? Badges? We don't need no stinking badges! You are correct Mr. F. but the same could be said for any of the familiar brands from my youth such as [i][b]Fender[/b][/i].
The Acoustic name only contributed slight (albeit falsely) to my decision to purchase it. The main reason was price tag. However, I am not disappointed in the leaset.
My bass is a Yamaha BBN5 for which I paid $100.00 US and I am not disappointed with it either. Someday I will upgrade but perhaps my ability should improve first.

I realise the new "Acoustic" amps have nothing to do with the originals (I still own a 220 and 404 cab that I bought new in 1980) and are probably made in the same Chinese factory as Behringer, Ashdown, etc. But I am a bit curious as to how they sound, and yes, I would buy one as an alternative to any other cheap Chinese amp just beacause its baby powder blue and has the word Acoustic on the front!

Not sure I would say [i]nothing to do with the originals as[/i] there may be some sort of design pholoshpy heritage.

Until my band gets too loud, my rig sounds very good to me and when we play a venue which provides a P.A., there is no problem.
It's when I have to push it to it's limit that makes me want to use a head with more wattage.
Acoustic B115's are sealed cabinets with a defeatable tweeter which I turn off as it bleeds off power to operate the passive crossover.

I do notice that the 5th fret A on the E string resonates noticebly more than other notes telling me that I may need to look into a compressor.
I own a Behringer CL-9 which I use for lead guitar and might play around with it a bit to see if it can be used for bass. What do you think?

[quote name='lastnotleast' timestamp='1356183422' post='1907715']
Badges? Badges? We don't need no stinking badges! You are correct Mr. F. but the same could be said for any of the familiar brands from my youth such as [i][b]Fender[/b][/i].
The Acoustic name only contributed slight (albeit falsely) to my decision to purchase it. The main reason was price tag. However, I am not disappointed in the leaset.
My bass is a Yamaha BBN5 for which I paid $100.00 US and I am not disappointed with it either. Someday I will upgrade but perhaps my ability should improve first.
[/quote]
The design heritage you refer to is only external and cosmetic (blue panels and striping) where "Acoustic" is sold by "Guitar Center". As Mr Foxen says, it's a combination of badge and design rights which were bought from the entrails of the old "Acoustic Amplification" company.

Never mind, if you like it, it sounds good and is reliable, that's great. Enjoy many happy hours perfecting your technique.

Balcro

Balcro, it remains to be seen how reliable this amp head is and I am concerned enough about it to feel the need for a backup.
One of the light weights would be ideal but I also want more power/headroom and could move the Acoustic B200H to the backup position.

Acoustic B115 cabs are rated at 250 watts (@ 8 ohms I presume) . What would be the maximum safe wattage amp head I could use with (2) cabs operating @ 4 ohms?
Connecting (2) 8 ohm cabs allows the amp to operate at 4 ohms but how is the amp wattage distributed to each cab? Are the both getting the full wattage of the head?

Edited by lastnotleast

[quote name='lastnotleast' timestamp='1356364097' post='1909553']
Bacro, it remains to be seen how reliable this amp head is and I am concerned enough about it to feel the need for a backup.
One of the light weights would be ideal but I also want more power/headroom and could move the Acoustic B200H to the backup position.

Acoustic B115 cabs are rated at 250 watts (@ 8 ohms I presume) . What would be the maximum safe wattage amp head I could use with (2) cabs operating @ 4 ohms?
Connecting (2) 8 ohm cabs allows the amp to operate at 4 ohms but how is the amp wattage distributed to each cab? Are the both getting the full wattage of the head?
[/quote]

The maximum safe working wattage for an amp is a hotly debated subject, but in practice depends upon how the whole rig is used. Acoustic's amp and cab ratings are not helpful, as the speakers seem to be rated at 8 ohms and the amps into 4 ohms. However that remains to be verified.

If you put your two B115's together, you will have (nominally) 4-500w of power handling capacity. You could run the B200H into this combination and with the two speaker outlets on the rear, the amplifier is working into a 4ohm load, where it can deliver 200watts. As both speakers are 8 ohms, they will receive equal watts. This will be quite loud, but you may have to turn the amp up to be [u]very loud[/u]. With a 500 or 600 watt amp also fitted with two speaker outlets, the same volume/loudness will be achievable without having to the volume control up quite as much, and you will have some headroom left in the amp. So you have two rigs with different amps and both are working within the limits of the amps and speakers. Small amp = limited headroom; large amp =
greater headroom.

There is a lot of flexibility about maximum wattage. What shouldn't be flexible is your discretion. If you turn the volume control to 11 and the rig makes an awful rough distorting noise, then turn it down!! You can damage either the speakers, the amp or both in any combination of amp power.

Edited by Balcro