Why become a member? ×

Can anyone tell me what's gone wrong here?

stoker

Does anyone know what could be wrong with this pedal? It's an Artec Vintage Chorus.
Was trying to use it at a rehearsal on Monday but even with the LED lit and pedal trodden on the effect didn't come on. Also moving knobs didn't do anything except when the 'depth' knob was up all the way causing much crackling and reduction in sound.
Any ideas what this could be? I'm hoping it's just a loose wire somewhere.

Edited by stoker

Many, many years ago I was given a Guyatone Distortion/Chorus pedal that didn't work. I was told that I could keep it if I got it to work, chuck it out if not. I had a look but couldn't figure it out, proper stumped me. The light would come on and it seemed to do everything it was supposed to but make a sound. Every couple of years I would stumble across it and have another look. This year I finally decided that it was its last chance, if I couldn't fix it I was going to cannibalise it for its parts. It turned out that the long tab inside the input jack socket was ever so slightly bent so that it shorted out across the input jack. I stuck a screwdriver in there and bent it back all of half a millimetre, an lo it was fixed! It's quite a nice little pedal too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a second opinion on the problem. latest report is that the chip is fried. Have emailed Artec and Thomann about spare parts and now just awaiting an answer.
I didn't get the pedal from Thomann, I bought if off here but I figured what the hell.

Edited by stoker

My guitar player had his Crybaby starting to develop some problems (no sound when on, just a squeek), after failing on two rehearsalls and a gig we bought a new pedal because i couldn't find anything wrong with the one he had. Using the new pedal for the first time he had the exact same fail...
i went there to check if he hadn't plugged in the old one by mistake and realised that he simply had swapped the jacks when pluggin in, bass on OUT and amp on IN!!! We returned the new pedal and he hasn't had the problem happening again since. He had that pedal and was using it for a lot of years.

This story is just to show you that sometimes the most basic problems happen even if we are used to using the gear for a very long time. Make sure you dismiss any external factors before putting the fault on the box, try diferent bass/amp/cables/power supply/battery/power socket/room and make sure everything's hooked up the right way ;)

Good luck on solving your problem quickly, cheers

[quote name='stoker' timestamp='1360342082' post='1969042']
As a last resort I've emailed PedalmodsUK to see what that say about it.
[/quote]

It might be worth bearing in mind that it's a pretty cheap pedal. The parts and labour to repair it might be more expensive than simply buying a new one.