Why become a member? ×

Blown speaker - Ashdown 115 combi

Decision

So I was wondering possible causes of my blown speaker which I have now had replaced.

I have heard it is a common issue with these amps as they are very dynamic and the speakers aren't great.

BUT

I turned on and dead. The last time I used the amp a few day before it was fine. Can a speaker blow from a power surge or has someone been using my amp?

I had an Ashdown speaker fail once. It hadn't blown. The braided conductor from the voice coil had come away from its connection to the solder tag. I guess the vibration had eventually stressed the solder joint. I re-made the solder joint and it was fine. Worth popping out the driver for a look!

Thanks for the replies.

Geoff - There was still power to the amp and the input monitor was responding to input.
JapanAxe - The repair guy said it was the speaker that had blown and has now replaced it. I guess he could have been saying that as it's then a bigger job but he has a very good rep locally so I think he is trustworthy.

Which brings me back to, assuming the speaker was blown, could this have happened at power up before plugging the guitar in? Or has someone been using the amp?

We share a lock up room and the other band have damaged other equipment in the past (and admitted to it when we raised the issue) but I don't want to go accusing them if this could have just been one of those things.

Thanks for your help and views on this - much appreciated.

D.