Why become a member? ×

How long to restore a double bass?

MandShef

Hello

I know this would depend on the state of the bass etc etc, I'm just trying to get an idea. I took my double bass (1890's Lowendahl) in for repairs at the beginning of the summer hols. At the time it was just to fix a few cracks and to lower the height of the strings. I was told at the time it'd take 6 weeks. 6 months later, and it seems to have turned into a complete restoration/renovation job, and I've been told I can't even be guaranteed to have it back for a concert I'm doing in March! From what I can gather the luthier encountered some botch repairs that had been done in the past, and is having to do more work to repair these, and he's replacing edging that had just crumbled away, which means a lot of glueing and waiting ....Does this sound normal, or has something gone wrong?! Part of me wonders whether I should just go around and ask for it back to take elsewhere, except I'd have to take a plastic bag and collect it in pieces!!! Do I just hold tight and cross fingers that he's done a good job when I finally get it back, or should I be worried? Really frustrated, as in the meantime I'm borrowing a really badly set up bass which hurts my fingers. Having never sent my bass into a luthier before, I have no idea what's normal with regards to timescales for repairs ...

This is certainly not uncommon with certain luthiers (who will remain nameless!) However, in my experience, Malcolm Healey, Mike Hart and Roger Dawson are quicker than most. I know Roger is very busy too and wouldn't be able to look at your bass until the new year. Who is your bass with? If you want to pm me I can be more frank.

My bass went for a set-up (replace bridge, sound post and nut, smooth out bumps on fingerboard, fit good quality endpin and make the action jazz friendly) two months ago. I was told it would be ready at the end of the week - but not which week.

However, in your case maybe it would be politic to go and see the work done so far and given the time frame, borrow a bass from the luthier which suits your needs better than the one you've got. Keep us posted!

Thanks Sarah. He says he has a policy of not letting clients see the instruments while he's working on them, so as not to worry them (needless to say this worries me even more!). The double bass I've got was loaned from him, but it was one that a friend of his found (& repaired) from a skip (my fellow bassists who've seen it have joked it should've been left in there!). It seems ungrateful to moan about it, as even a dodgy bass is better than no bass at all - at least I've been able to keep up with my rehearsals & concerts - but after this amount of time I just want mine back ...

sorry to read about the situation..... cannot understand why you are be-barred from viewing work in progress. I have recently collected my db from Martin Penning in Frome who carried out very similar job to the one you describe although it started with the intention of removing top to access and reglue horizontal back brace. Not unexpectedly, Martin advised carrying out some extra work once the top was removed as it was sensible to sort out anything problematic "inside".

Originally advised work would take two weeks minimum but possibly longer depending on state of instrument once top removed.He did not have an opportunity to see it before hand and had to rely on my comments. I delivered bass as soon as he was free to start it. Martin kept in regular e-mail contact to advise progress and sent pictures at each stage as I do not live within easy driving distance - I cannot imagine he would have had any problem with a personal visit if it was practical for me.

Collected bass exactly 4 weeks later but could have been 3 weeks if I was desperate. Cost ? Original quote was around £200 to sort out back brace BUT dependent on ease of removing top .... happily the top came off without too much trauma. I paid around £100 extra for other internal work making good old cracks and repairs.The external extras were all fair prices for standard work ie new saddle/new nut/shoot and redress fingerboard/new soundpost/ refit bridge feet. We agreed the exras as we went along

By now your luthier should be able to tell you when the job WILL be finished and what the cost will be.Once you are advised this I think you should make a written record of events to date and send a copy to the luthier.

Sincerely hope this will all turn out ok.

Taking the top off a bass - especially an old, solid top, can cause a bit of damage to the top itself, linings and even the ribs. Sometimes it can take more time repairing the damage caused by bits of the top staying stuck to the ribs or bits of lining sticking to the top than it takes to carry out the actual repair the top was removed for! I've certainly heard of more than one repairer who would not let a customer watch them removing the top from their beloved db. It normally looks (and sounds) far worse than it actually is but I can see why a repairer would be wary. That said though, once it's off I can't see any reason the customer shouldn't have a look inside - in fact it's much easier to explain a repair when the customer can see it. I often send photos if there's something the customer needs to see.

On the subject of time, it's important for the repairer to have the bass for a while so they can fully explore all the issues there might be while the top's off, but probably not 6 months. I think half the problem with some of the more 'well known' repairers is they tend to take on too many jobs, shuffling around the less urgent, less important or less famous to the back of the queue. Make a fuss! Six months is taking the p#ss

Hmm, from the very kind responses I've had so far, I think I have reason to be concerned.
[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1355332954' post='1897106']
Make a fuss! Six months is taking the p#ss
[/quote]
When you consider I'm at the 6 months waiting stage at the mo, and I've been told it can't be guaranteed for a March concert, we're looking at 9 months or more in total. I think I'm going to have to make a fuss - oh dear.

I think thats a really excessive amount of time, & personally, I'd go round & view the bass & the progress & ask for an explanation.
It sounds like he's also going to charge you an arm & a leg!

At the end of the day, its your bass, remember that!

I can recommend Henry Norton above, having had work carried out by him recently, so if it was me, I'd get the bass & take it to him!

Good luck