Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

RE: Ampeg B3......good/bad/indifferent?

surfguy13

Hi folks

Been offered an Ampeg B3 (15" driver) in pretty damn good nick, probably from the '90s and made in the US. It also has a full flight case.....useful! :)

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of these combos? Never had any Ampeg kit and although this amp seems to suit my needs I wasn't sure if it was a good buy or if it's something to avoid?

Not so worried about whether it's a good/bad deal (£200), more about how well made these US 90s combos were and whether they're plagued with problems. Obviously I'll try it on the day and see whether I like it, and that'll determine whether I buy it or not, but any views would be most helpful.

Cheers!

I used one at a gig when I was at uni and fell in love. They had just stopped making them at that stage. As already stated here, they arent the loudest but they do have a speaker out!
I hadnt got a decent amp myself at that stage so spent many a day looking through ebay and other placea to find one before giving up and getting a Fenser Rumble
Just before I left for NZ two years ago, a mate got one in a trade but didnt want it and offered it to me for 75 euros with a case. If i hadnt just bought a micro vr and 2 cabs here-then a plane ticket, i wouldve taken it!!!
Guess it wasnt meant to be.haha

Edited by basshead56

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1355170369' post='1895019']
I have the B3158, which is similar to the B3 except it's biamped with an 8" aswell as the 15".

They're good amps. Not LOUD, but great tone and very well built. they can be a bit prone to overheating.

I paid £275 for mine a while back. Maybe 6 or 7 years ago.
[/quote]
[quote name='basshead56' timestamp='1355206881' post='1895306']
I used one at a gig when I was at uni and fell in love. They had just stopped making them at that stage. As already stated here, they arent the loudest but they do have a speaker out!
I hadnt got a decent amp myself at that stage so spent many a day looking through ebay and other placea to find one before giving up and getting a Fenser Rumble
Just before I left for NZ two years ago, a mate got one in a trade but didnt want it and offered it to me for 75 euros with a case. If i hadnt just bought a micro vr and 2 cabs here-then a plane ticket, i wouldve taken it!!!
Guess it wasnt meant to be.haha

Thanks guys, really helpful.

I decided to go for it and picked it up today. VERY impressed indeed - as you both said, not the loudest combo in the world, far from it, but yes, it has a speaker out so that helps a lot. Nice graphic and good to have the option to switch from graphic to standard tone controls and back with a push/pull pot.

The amp hasn't been used since 2003 and stored in a flight case but all the pots worked well and it really did sound sweet as soon as I plugged it in. Built like a tank too, in fact it is build VERY well indeed. I think it'll be a keeper and at the price, with a full flight case, it just has to be a bargain.
[/quote]