Why become a member? ×

Wilson?

Vasquez Rich

I'M no expert but just had a look in teh Blue book.

they were made between 1961-82 as Wlikins then Watkins and then W.E.M. The bass it would seem is quite rare. G-plan (furniture) were employed at some point in this history to produce the woodwork.

No Ideas of a value but I'd treat it like a Shergold.

Ask the owner whether they want to play it or look at it.

If they want to play it then they'll be happy for you to use similar but not necessarily "period correct" parts.

The best thing to do is communicate.

If they insist upon it being 100% correct, be prepared to spend lots of time (and money) trawling eBay and even more obscure sources trying to find the right stuff.

I've recently been restoring a Hagstrom bass, and the owner has been prepared to let a few things go in the interest of making it a playable instrument, like modern slide switches, new nitrocellulose finish (as opposed to artificially aging with tinted clearcoats) when the originals might not even have used nitro (don't know offhand). But I wasn't prepared to compromise on a few esoteric Hagstrom touches, like the 3 screw jackplate. That took a while to track down, and I had to buy a whole wrecked bass to get it.

Thanks for the info guys.

I think it's meant to be played so will get that treatment first, I won't be doing any restoring or refinishing, just sorting the tuners, electronics, wiring, set up, action etc etc so that it plays better and actually works correctly.

Pictures.. no not yet, will post some when I have it in hand. I will probably get to see it tomorrow night. It belongs to a mate, although he's a drummer really, it was left in his studio and he now uses it as a "stock" bass and I expect it has not been treated all that well over the years.

Richard