Why become a member? ×

Where's the best place to get parts for DIY pedals in the UK?

dannybuoy

I want to build a matchbox sized true bypass loop pedal to use with a Dunlop 105Q to avoid tone suck when not in use. I've seen a thread on Talkbass where a few people have modded the pedal but I'd rather not do that unless I had some very good instructions to follow!

So I want to build a box as small as possible that can contain 4 jacks and a stomp switch, preferably of similar width to the wah, but low profile in the other dimensions. I don't think I'll bother with a LED and power socket, I wanna keep it simple.

Does anyone know a good store where I can get the enclosure, switch and jacks (preferably from the same place to save on postage)? If anyone's seen any really tiny enclosures that would fit the bill please let me know.

cheers,
Dan

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='197996' date='May 13 2008, 02:34 PM']I want to build a matchbox sized true bypass loop pedal to use with a Dunlop 105Q to avoid tone suck when not in use. I've seen a thread on Talkbass where a few people have modded the pedal but I'd rather not do that unless I had some very good instructions to follow!

So I want to build a box as small as possible that can contain 4 jacks and a stomp switch, preferably of similar width to the wah, but low profile in the other dimensions. I don't think I'll bother with a LED and power socket, I wanna keep it simple.

Does anyone know a good store where I can get the enclosure, switch and jacks (preferably from the same place to save on postage)? If anyone's seen any really tiny enclosures that would fit the bill please let me know.

cheers,
Dan[/quote]

[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/"]http://www.maplin.co.uk/[/url] have at least one store in London and will definitely have all you need.

Is this any help ? [url="http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahTrueBypass.htm"]True Bypass Vintage Wah[/url]

Or this [url="http://www.muzique.com/lab/truebypass.htm"]True Bypass[/url]

If you go for a separate box then the size will be limited by the jack sockets and footswitch. Remember to allow fo rthe length of the jack plug in the socket as this sometimes protrudes from the end of the socket. Also, it can sometimes be quite difficult to drill some metal boxes very close to the corners so allow for that.

I didn't bother checking Maplins but actually they do have a wide range of enclosures. I doubt the stores would stock the entire range though so I'd have to order them. I'm not sure how small I can go while still fitting all the parts in there though... it might have to be trial and error unless anybody else has built a similar device already and can give me some advice?

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='198043' date='May 13 2008, 03:26 PM']I didn't bother checking Maplins but actually they do have a wide range of enclosures. I doubt the stores would stock the entire range though so I'd have to order them. I'm not sure how small I can go while still fitting all the parts in there though... it might have to be trial and error unless anybody else has built a similar device already and can give me some advice?[/quote]

If you go to a Maplin store and what you want isn't in stock they'll order it in and phone you when it arrives. They did for me once in Cambridge, anyway, don't know if all branches do it.

N84AR footswitch 13mm deep
4 off HF90X jack socket about 20mm square x jackpluglenght internally

Should all fit in a LH70M diecast case...but if you go down the shop you can check.

[quote name='bremen' post='198069' date='May 13 2008, 04:06 PM']If you go to a Maplin store and what you want isn't in stock they'll order it in and phone you when it arrives. They did for me once in Cambridge, anyway, don't know if all branches do it.

N84AR footswitch 13mm deep
4 off HF90X jack socket about 20mm square x jackpluglenght internally

Should all fit in a LH70M diecast case...but if you go down the shop you can check.[/quote]

That box has internal dimensions of 96 x 46 x 21 which is small, but I think I can go smaller. There's a couple of options, GU61R with dimensions of 46 x 46 x 27 and N87BQ which is 53x38x27. I'll let you know how it goes, in the meantime, keep the suggestions coming!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='198091' date='May 13 2008, 04:33 PM']That box has internal dimensions of 96 x 46 x 21. There's one smaller than that with dimensions of 46 x 46 x 27 which is ideal but perhaps too small, but this is the one I'm gonna aim for first. I'll let you know how it goes, in the meantime, keep the suggestions coming![/quote]

I don't think you'll get four jack sockets into the smaller box.