Why become a member? ×

Odd popping on my active bass...

[font="Tahoma"]Hey folks, got a problem that's got me a little confounded.

I've presently got a Tanglewood Canyon II (active) going through an Ashdown Perfect 10 minirig. All's been well but recently I've noticed I get an annoying popping/ clicking noise whenever I touch a string regardless of whether i touch it lightly or i'm actually fretting the string. As you can imagine, its becomming seriously annoying.

I've tried altering the tone knobs etc but the sound remains constant. Changing cables does nothng either. I'm guessing the problem might have something to do with the fact the bass is active? I've tried playing the bass elsewhere (I went as far away from the amp as possible and had my gf report back!) but alas the evil click remains.

I hope that's explained clearly enough- would be ace if someone could offer a diagnosis.
Cheers.[/font]

First, rule out a weak battery by replacing it with a new one.

If that doesn't change anything then the next suspect would be an earthing problem. You'd have to open up the control cavity and check the wiring, looking for any loose or disconnected wires inside.

There should also be an earth wire that goes through the body and connects to the metal bridge (it usually just emerges from a hole under the bridge and is sandwiched between the bridge and body when the bridge is screwed down).

If you have a multi-meter then check continuity between all metal parts and the earth connection on the jack socket.

[quote name='nevernever' post='197932' date='May 13 2008, 01:15 PM']....recently I've noticed I get an annoying popping/ clicking noise....[/quote]
Have you started slapping and tapping without realising it?

Thanks BOD2, i'll try changing the battery when I get home and if not I'll crack open the back and see if I can see any of the problems you highlighted.

Thanks again.

[quote name='chris_b' post='197954' date='May 13 2008, 01:43 PM']Have you started slapping and tapping without realising it?[/quote]

Unfortunately no! Would be ace though...