Why become a member? ×

'Solar' - jazz standard woodshed video

urb

Hey dudes

I've been shedding a fair bit over the last few months and haven't documented any of it really (with good reason!!!) anyway this isn't amazing but it has some of things I've been trying out here - I tweaked the audio from a very dry 'through the mic' sound so I hope it translates OK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L-fDi2kHJg

Hope you enjoy some of it!

Cheers for watching

Mike

Sounds great, Mike. Every time I hear that Sei bass, I want to get a fretted one myself (if I played that many notes, my intonation would let me down big time :lol:). Always fancied the Flamboyabt 6 and even played one once at the Gallery but it never appeared!! Sounds like the hours of shedding have paid dividends.

Thanks a lot Rob - I don't expect compliments from discerning jazz heads like you but I'll certainly take that one :)

Re the Sei it is a joy to play and any frustrations I get with my sound are often rooted in my technique - hence I'm working on the basics again like timing, muting and clarity - and for the little of that I've managed in the last month I've felt some improvements already

I still want to play more melodically though - that's next on the list

Try the singing along with your solo idea; it will slow you down at first but you will find it more melodic. Also, someone once said to me 'deny yourself twice'. Play a phrase and then, when y9ou want to play the next one, don't. Then, when the next one comes into your heard, don't play it. Play the next one and you will have edited 60% of your 'diarrheoa' and it wil sound more melodic (this is all in the practice room, not on a gig :lol:)

Holy cow Mike. Your playing always smacks me sideways, but dare I say it sounds as though you've [i]somehow[/i] managed to improve recently? (not that you had much headroom for improvememnt before!).

Really fluid playing. You make it look effortless. Which makes me slightly sick :P

Seriously though, [i]very[/i] impressive playing mate.

Paul

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1355102287' post='1894184']
Holy cow Mike. Your playing always smacks me sideways, but dare I say it sounds as though you've [i]somehow[/i] managed to improve recently? (not that you had much headroom for improvememnt before!).

Really fluid playing. You make it look effortless. Which makes me slightly sick :P

Seriously though, [i]very[/i] impressive playing mate.

Paul
[/quote]

Very kind of you Paul - I actually feel like I have made some improvements lately and the ideas I've been working on for the last couple of years are actually manifesting themselves when I want to use them... saying that this is a little rough around the edges - I'm planning a better-produced couple of vids soon just to get some more ideas out there - but I play a few standards every day to keep my ideas flowing and it's all about linking your ideas - that's been my goal really is making all my ideas connect and build closer musical relations with them all - thanks for noticing.

Cheers

Mike

No worries Mike. Your playing is [i]way[/i] off my radar so I can't offer any constructive points on it. I just thought you seemed even more fluid and relaxed than usual :)

I don't think I have enough hours in the day to practice and reach that level of connection between head/heart and hands. So it's great to see you 'in the zone' mate!