Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror + Aguilar GS412 = Awesome

matybigfro

Having been lusting after a new amp/cab for far too long and having been mightly impresed with the Orange Bass Terror's performance in the music shop test. It was to great glee that I saw the backline for a local festival gig my band had been booked for (fear of fiction, Bristol) included an Orange Bass Terror and Aguilar 4x12 (not knowing these cab's by name for some reason I had imagine a overly wide guitar cab being in place) Much to my lust when I arrived and saw the well built tall beauty that was a GS412 sitting up on stage I'm not ashamed to say I was more than alittle aroused.

The soundcheck and ensuing gig was awesome. Having developed a bad habit of never asking for anything during a soundcheck and so alwasy only ever hearing spill from the rest of the band on this gig I did not care as I delighted in hearing every sweet not that issued from my bass (apart from the increasingly annoying hiss/hum generated by the combo of a corvid fuzz and aguilar octave pedal). Having got used to the neccesity of boosting mid on the OBT to get a flatish sound this amp is really happening for me know and through this cab it sounded simply awesome. Vintage, warm, round and proud bass tone.

Following a small tour last weekend supporting Menomena also using a BT this time into a ampeg SVT-15E I believe (great sound listen off stage but not placed in a helpfull place to hear when playing support) I'm definlty sold on the Bass Terror as my must purchased soon amp. Unfortunatly I will not have the room (either in my flat or in my band mates two cars that provide our gig transport) to look at pairing it with a Aguilar GS 412 any time soon.

:-(

Any hot tips on smaller cabs that will get me close to that sound.

[quote name='matybigfro' timestamp='1354553267' post='1887275']
Any hot tips on smaller cabs that will get me close to that sound.
[/quote]

GS2x12. Apparently the Deltalite II (might wanna check that, might be the one, or another deltalite) sits happy in those cabs, but has a bit more high from the speakers (GS cabs are pretty dark) so a lighter cab tuned the same could be made, but will be a bit brighter.

Or 2xGS112's.. cheap as chips and a bigger sound than most.
Drummers who love the bass also love these.

Too dark is a good way to describe them so I didn't keep them but with new strings these
were better than the more 'celebrated' cabs I use now, to my ears.
The problem being, for me, as much as i liked them with new strings, they weren't able to
cope with what I wanted, dulled off

But if you like the 412, then I think you'll get on very well with the 2x112 idea which is a nice carry and compact rig.
If you don't mind the size and weight, the GS212 should do the same job

Aguilar should sound good, Orange can't tell how it will sound because they are a mess in the mids anyway, and you are mixing different cabs. The Aguilar will be louder though since you aren't feeding half your speakers power to perform the function of the back of the speaker in the Aguilars.