Why become a member? ×

Anyone used JBL MRX500 series PA cabs?

mike257

So, I've been desperately trying to get my function band to put hands in pockets and replace the god-awful cheapo PA gear we're currently using with something more befitting an act charging wedding prices, and it's been an uphill struggle to educate them in the importance of decent PA gear.

I've got the opportunity to pick up some JBL MRX500 series kit and wondering if anybody here has any experience of using these cabs before I take the punt.

Been offered a pair of MXR525 2x15 full range tops and the matching MRX528s 2x18 subs. I think that whole system would be massive overkill for what we do and that we might even get away with just the MXR525 pair as a full range setup.

We're a 5 piece function band with drums, bass, elec and acoustic guitar, keys and three vox. Currently we stick vox, keys and acoustic gtr through the PA and run the guitars/bass from backline only.

So yeah, just wondering if anyone has any experience of using the MXR500 stuff and any opinion on its suitability for our needs....

Thanks guys,

Mike

JBL should be ok, but IMO, it isn't the JBL of old and we have had a few silly horn units fail on us which is why we didn't buy JBL ourselves.
If you have only been running tops, then anything with subs will likely be an improvement on your old P.A ..and it is very common for people to skimp on
vox in terms of sound and actual singer as well, considering this is the KEY focal point of a band.

I think RCF are doing decent stuff these days..they always used to, but it was very expensive, so look at their active 12's
but now their cheaper lines are still better than average.
EV might be a tad behind..if looking at the gear in the same sort of pricepoint. Forget SX300's as that is backline Key stuff, IMO.. and not upto function band work in larger halls.

If you are considering the 215 tops and subs, then consider who is going to load that all in.. let alone carry it.

If you are going for tops only and thro in keys and little extras, then you'll need GOOD tops... QSC isn't really good enough unless you add the bins
and then you have the carry factor[i]. [/i] I would say it is a decent solution for £3k for a 3-4k rig with subs though.

If you are talking about £1000 for your tops inc amps, then £4-500 on a pair of good Martin Audios out fo E bay is the way to go.
They will slaughter pretty much anything I've mentioned in my post, if you can get a controller with them.. and handle keys and vox very well.

We ran ICT500's which are miles better than QSCKW12's, IMO... and you might be able to get some smaller ICT300 for about £400-ish as well
Doubt you will get F12's tho..and you still need an amp, for that money..if you don't have a good one.

Early Mackie is ok..not the later stuff.... but your money could be spent better elsewhere.

The final thing is that you need a P.A for 200 people in a smallish room/marquee....and should be prepared to hire in/add subs at that point..
Any larger, put the P.A hire on the bill....

Cheers JTUK, thought you might have dropped by!

We're currently using awful cheap and nasty 'Class D' branded subs and tops, they're just disgusting. It's amazing how many bands skimp on PA gear when the vocals should be top of the priorities in terms of sound.

I'd be happy to drop a couple of gigs worth of cash on a great rig but everyone else is less prepared to miss out on the paydays - I'm trying to convince them of the long-term value of upgrading our whole FOH sound but I think I'm going to have to meet them midway.

Carry/load-in isn't the biggest problem - there's 5 of us and we travel in my big splitter van so can move gear around easily enough.

Only reason I was considering using the tops only is because the subs this guy is selling are giant 2x18 monstrosities that (whilst I'd love 'em) are way too much for the majority of the work we do.

Have looked for Martin stuff on eBay but rarely seems to be any around. We've just had the opportunity to grab this JBL stuff from somebody local, and potentially at a bargain price, so was interested to get opinions on it. Thinking it might get nearer to the performance I want but stay closer to the budget the band wants!

If you can live with the carry, then I think subs add quite a lot to a P.A...

We look for tight sub bins...currently want to demo EV Z!12 types, which are active and compact.. but have had decent enough results with Carlbro GAmma type stuff, to go with QSC tops.
I'd certainly get decent sounding tops..and you should hear them... and then maybe see what you can live with subs-wise.
Mackie subs were not so good for us with the Martins and a big lift to boot..

The current thinking is that QSC subs ..altho compatible.. aren't that great, but they do elevate the tops to an overall improvement worth having...but the subs are night on £2k per pr..??? and we can't/wont carry them all the time.

Our sound tend to be pretty decent with tops only so the subs aren't really going to work that hard...so we can get away with one, I think.

For the bigger gigs, we will hire in...

The only thing about 18"s and 15" is that who will want to buy them of you..??