Why become a member? ×

Buying a Bow

oggiesnr

So just how does one go about it in such a way that you end up with one that's right for you and your instrument?

I have two bows, both bought on reccomendations via the internet. One is French style, I love the weight of it but I find my thumb gets sore (a touch of arthritis) so I bought a German one, love the grip and feel but it's light and doesn't work well with my bass (or my tutor's) so I'm in the market to try again.

I went and had a play with a few bows but I eneded up wondering wether the tone I was getting was because the bow suited me or wether it was that the bass I was playing was better than mine so I passed on buying.

So, does anyone have any suggestions or know of anywhere which won't look askance if I were to take my cheap plywood bass along with me to try their bows on?

Thanks

Steve

Hi, a good bow is very hard to come by... I own a Claude Marchand which I'll be honest it competes with many bows of double its value...
Thomas Martin or Andrew Mcgill is your best bet! Andrew does the best re-hairs ever. Period.

Good luck!

FYI - I believe the bow price is around £1200 or £1400 Which is cheap for what you get!