Why become a member? ×

Ultra Blacks trial set - please read "Innovation trial sets" before posting

daflewis

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okeydoke, I'm ready to pass these on to the next person on the list. Step up please!

I liked the sound and feel of these - essentially the same as the Rockabillys on my working bass, but the higher tension gives a clearer tone, particulary with the E and A. The strong fundamental still comes through, but with more clarity and sustain. Tension wise, they feel a bit lower than Spiro mediums (close to Superflexibles) so if you like playing Spiros but want a tone that doesn't sound like a set of knackered springs from a Fender Twin Reverb :yarr: then these could be the strings for you...

Ultimately, I found the G tension a bit to high for me.....but then I hit on an amazing idea!

I really like the super silver G and D, but find the A and E to be just a smidge lacking in definition (the sound of the A string when tuned to A# is great - drop back to A and the magic disappears...) sooooo, I removed the G and D Ultras and replaced with G and D Super silvers. The result is a very tasty combination of solid well-defined low end and smooth jazzy top end. Niiice.

Hi Dave,

I like it! :)

I've had a number of people mention that the tensions tend to be higher on the top than the bottom with the Ultras and the Supers, and I think it's something I'm going to spend some time looking into when the new prototypes - "Polychromes" are finally on sale!

I'd be really interested to hear/try your bass with that combination if there's any chance some day...

On a purely aesthetic note - how's the half silver/half black look - Pretty funky?! :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

There has been some confusion recently about what to do when you've finished with the strings, so just a reminder for everyone...

There's a list in the opening post of each topic that I update as often as I can, so you can keep an eye on where the strings are and also see who you need to contact when you're done with them. -

(But it's all in the terms and conditions thread, which everyone has, of course, read... ;) :D )

Cheers,
Daf :)

Edited by daflewis

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...