Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4001 pup problem

lowlandtrees

I have a 1978 rick 4001. The 3rd string is very noticably lower in volume than the others. I have switched the bridge thingmybobs around so that the string is aligned better and runs right over the pickup but there is no difference. Any ideas. The only thing that I have done to the bass is change the scratch plate for a metal one as the old plastic one was broken. The bass has had a rough life to the point of abuse but apart from the string thing sounds great.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1354201274' post='1883500']
Yes but can't the pole still be adjusted somehow? If not, then could it have become demagnetised?
[/quote]
On these basses (assuming original pickups) they have what have come to be called, "Button Top" high gain pickups. The bobbin is two small slabs of fibreglass, and the polepieces are glued in, with the bottom of the polepieces contacting a proprietary compound ceramic magnet. There is a small possibility that the pole isn't seated all the way to the end of the bobbin and is not making contact with the magnet. If changing the A string doesn't fix it, then one way to determine this is to flip the pickup around to see if the lower volume follows to the D string, as the pole pieces are in an arc to match the fingerboard radius, and the relative volume should be the same. I've never heard of a D string being down on volume.

• 2 weeks later...