Why become a member? ×

Here I Am Again

Lo.

Hello all - I'm sure I was here in a previous life a few years back. I'm just another bass addict from the Manchester area - been playing 20 years. I have a CIJ 2003 P-bass, a 73 Jazz, a 2006(?) Maverick S4 and a much neglected Status Energy 5.

Here's my youtube stuff:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/jamersonshook"]http://www.youtube.com/user/jamersonshook[/url]

Look forward to chatting bass, and maybe answering a few Motown questions if I can. I was lucky enough to have worked demonstrating Phil Jones Bass gear with Bob Babbitt for a week at NAMM in January - I met a good few other bass heroes too (Freddie Washington, Verdine White, Bobby Vega and others).

All the best - keep the funk alive!!

Edited by Lo.

hi and welcome
i just watched your Gladys knights version of"heard it through the grapevine",great job,thats one of my favourites.ive been trying to nail it with two fingers and failing miserably,you got it down with one :)
great collection of videos btw.
pete.

[quote name='ednaplate' post='196237' date='May 10 2008, 09:44 PM']Welcome to the forum. Great playing I love a lot of that stuff. Whereabouts in this wonderful city are you?[/quote]

Thanks - I'm near Chorley at the moment - I keep escaping back to Manchester though, I miss it!!

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='196235' date='May 10 2008, 09:41 PM']hi and welcome
i just watched your Gladys knights version of"heard it through the grapevine",great job,thats one of my favourites.ive been trying to nail it with two fingers and failing miserably,you got it down with one :)
great collection of videos btw.
pete.[/quote]

Thanks - that's a great line ain't it? The "secret" of course is that it's easier to play it with one finger - I've been meaning to put a full playalong vid of Grapevine up there...

[quote name='Lo.' post='196385' date='May 11 2008, 10:29 AM']Thanks - I'm near Chorley at the moment - I keep escaping back to Manchester though, I miss it!![/quote]
So you're not far away then.

Watched a load of your vids last night and I'm very impressed as they include many of the tracks in my 'repertoire'. I noticed you seem to use a lot of open strings in your playing whereas I prefer the fretted equivalent. Are open strings the proper approach for motown-type music? I'm working my way through the Standing In The Shadows Of Motown book tabbing out songs as I go.