Why become a member? ×

Sold!!! (please delete) Fender Deluxe (US) 2002 5 String Jazz (Black/Maple)

Freddy

Hello! I'm selling my 2002 Fender Deluxe (US) five string Jazz Bass (Montego Black/maple fretboard). The bass is in great condition with only 'play wear' to the body (a few light marks/scratches on front and rear), as you would expect for it's age. I have had a black scratchplate made, but will supply the original gold one that came with the bass.

It's light! Weighing just over 9lbs, it's a joy on long sessions, and this is helped by great balance, light Fender/Hipshot tuners (lighter than Hipshot Ultralights) and no neck dive. It also has a soft-heel (5-bolt) neck joint which is great for access to the top frets. It features [i]Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder[/i] pickups (worth £140) and a [i]John East J-Retro 2[/i] pre-amp (worth £200).

This bass sounds superb! One comment that was left when I saw the ad from the previous owner said that it had one of the best slap sounds that person had ever heard and I know what they mean, it's wicked! It's also very versatile, from dub-style 'boom' to nasally mids, punchy and with growl, but roll it back and there's loads of warmth, so both old-school and modern can be easily achieved. Full instructions for the pre-amp are included, but it's really straight forward and easy to use. Also, it's been fully copper- shielded so there is no noise or earthing related issues.

The 22 fret maple neck is in excellent condition and I have recently had the frets dressed professionally. It has a fairly flat profile (approx' 10 inch radius) and has a really comfortable 'C' shape, which makes it great to play even with small hands like mine! The bass is set up really low and it plays like butter, with no dead spots and good sustain. The low B string tension is firm even with light gauge strings and doesn't have the 'dullness' problem that some five-strings seem to suffer from. It also features a Posiflex graphite-reinforced truss rod, which will be useful if you use super-heavy gauge strings.

Nut width: 48mm
String spacing at nut: 7/8mm
String spacing at bridge: 17.5mm (adjustable due to grooved saddles)

The bass comes with the original Fender moulded case (also in great condition), long 'T-bar' allen key, cloth and literature. I only bought it through Basschat back in March but, regrettably, I need the money ('Child forces sale'…).

I'm asking £875 and I'm just trying to get back what I've spent. Somebody please give this baby a good home!

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Freddy