Why become a member? ×

Bergantino IP112 + EX112

mcgraham

Well, given I've been using this rig for 4 years without change, I thought it was worth a short review explaining why.

[i][b]What is it?[/b][/i]
Bergantino are a high-end and highly-reliable small cab operation in the US. The IP series was their idea of a 'complete' amp solution - a great quality cab with a built in power amp optimised for use with THAT cabinet and tweaked to be optimal for bass playing. It's got subtle EQ and compression built in to make it just work with whatever you plug into it. It's so subtle you just won't notice. It saves all that jiggery pokery with modular setups to ensure a seamless setup, but with enough flexibility that allows you to 'colour' the system with your own preamp. It's small, relatively light, very portable, and sounds huge.

The IP112 also works with an extension cabinet EX112 to turn it into a line-array setup. Both are the same size, maybe an inch difference in depth.

Jim Bergantino produced this series for a number of years but IIRC it's been paused for the moment.

[i][b]What initially made me buy it?[/b][/i]
I like simplicity. This is about as simple as you can get without buying a combo, but even then as the only control on the amp itself is 'power amp volume' and 'tweeter control', it's far simpler than most combo amps.

I also like controlling everything from my bass. I don't like having to set-up multiple pedals or settings, or footswitches, etc. I just want to be able to plug into an amp and then it's up to me to make it work for whatever the application is. With a good bass, the IP is an uncoloured route to bass heaven.

[i][b]What made me keep it?[/b][/i]
I simply cannot overstate how good this sounds, but the real killer is how little work you have to expend to make it sound good. As Mark Stickley at Bass Direct puts it, 'whatever you put in, you get out - plug in a crap bass you'll just get crap tone out, plug in a great bass and you'll be rewarded'. I'd invested heavily in my technique and gear (specifically a bass that matched my playing) before getting an IP, and it is an immensely rewarding cab to own and play.

The biggest benefit is when you plug in the EX112. THe IP on its own sounds great, but it's when you plug in the ext cab that the low end REEEEALLY jumps out at you. I have done gigs with hundreds of people in dead rooms with no subs, and the rig's bass output could still overpower the rest of the band - even with guitar amps and normal PA support.

[i][b]What makes me keep using it?[/b][/i]
It does everything I need it to do. It breaks down into component parts small enough to be packed into the boot of a small hatchback. It's portable enough to take it on the overland trains and tubes for those who travel to and in London. It really cannot be overstated how good this is as a one-cab/two-cab solution.

[i][b]Niggles:[/b][/i]
I have no build or sound niggles per se. But if i'm going to rate it so highly I may as well tell you what features I'd like for my uses-
Tweeter defeat switch - sometimes i like a more vintage sound, and would love to be able to defeat the tweeter - you can only turn it down a few dB.
Doesn't look as cool as the IP310 - despite it being the most portable rig in the world, it doesn't look as cool (to me) as the 310 version. But then if I'd done a review of that it would've had the niggle it wasn't as portable as the IP/EX stack!
Power cable is unique - the power cable is not a kettle lead, and a powered speakon cable. Another user on here once drove half-way across the country to a gig, started setting up, then realised he'd left the power cable at home. With no chance of buying another in the area he had to drive back to get it. To be fair, the guy was a muppet, as the cover for the IP has a pocket for the cables so there's no excuse to forget it... nevertheless, it's feasible that this could happen to anyone.

Other than that, I'd give this a 8.5-9/10. I can't give something 10/10 cos it's impossible to achieve, but this comes pretty close.

While they are presently not being made, they are worth checking out 2nd hand if you get a chance.