Why become a member? ×

vol knob for extension cab?

Al Heeley

Our guitarist has started putting one of his 2 x 12 extension cabs behind the drummer so he can hear a bit more of the guitar in a gig, only we'd like to be able to just turn it down a touch to balance with the sound from my bass cab. I'm looking for a simple passive circuit the extension cab could go through to knock a bit of volume off without stressing the guitar amp, a rather meaty Mesa dual recto head. This way the guitarist can keep his main cab blasting out forwards and the drummer can set the guitar volume in his extension cab like a personal monitor.
That's the plan. Anyone know of a little circuit that could do the job?

The logical thing to do would be to have a variable resistor of the correct value in line, so you can turn down the signal going to the speaker - however this will not only need to withstand an awful lot of current, it will increase the resistance of the second cab upon the amp - which will f**k things up for the amp, especially for a valve head!

I think the simplest option would be to get a power amp and take a line out from the guitar amp. Or just get a cheap powered monitor running off a line out from the amp. You don't want to be messing around with the impedance (resistance) where an amp is concerned IMO. The volume needs to be adjusted at line level.

The best and most amp-friendly solution will be to run the second speaker through a decent variable output speaker attenuator such as a [url=http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_hotplate.html]THD Hotplate[/url] or a [url=http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm]Weber MASS[/url].

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1352308253' post='1861440']
The logical thing to do would be to have a variable resistor of the correct value in line, so you can turn down the signal going to the speaker - however this will not only need to withstand an awful lot of current, it will increase the resistance of the second cab upon the amp - which will f**k things up for the amp, especially for a valve head!

I think the simplest option would be to get a power amp and take a line out from the guitar amp. Or just get a cheap powered monitor running off a line out from the amp. You don't want to be messing around with the impedance (resistance) where an amp is concerned IMO. The volume needs to be adjusted at line level.
[/quote]

+1