Why become a member? ×

OLP MM2 Gas/

JohnFitzgerald

Always wanted one of these and managed to snag one at a very fair price at last.
It always helps when your local Gumtree throws one up at a very good price and within 10 minutes walk of work. B)

Some pics. price was a very fair, I think, £80.
I'm sure I'll be conisdering P'ups and preamps soon enough.

[attachment=122823:Main.JPG]

[attachment=122824:Headstock.JPG]

[attachment=122825:Body.JPG]

somebody mentioned my name? :lol:

[quote name='StephenFerguson' timestamp='1352139225' post='1859264']
£80? Bargain! I would def get the big round plate MM bridge as I think these fit on the OLP without routing.
[/quote]

They fit but leave a small gap (about 4mm) between the pickguard and the neck.
The pickup routing is pretty large on these basses, so it's usually easy to move the pickup up a bit and close teh gap a little. If you want it to close perfectly you need to enlarge the routing a little bit to move the pickup upwards a little, towards the neck.

But... £80??? Bargain!!! It looks in good condition!
'wildman' is selling one here in BC that used to be mine, and was just like this one when I bought it. I had some work done on mine: got it set up which involved fret levelling, I had a new nut installed and also rolled the fingerboard edges a bit... then a Basslines SMB4A turned the bass into a veritable beast. I don't like the original pickups on these at all. Put a SMB4A there and smile :lol:. I also put a 3-band Seymour Duncan preamp, the STC-3M3 (or something like that). I spent more than you did on my OLP, and then the extras added up quite a bit... but it was well worth it.

£80? Great score!

I still have one OLP left. This one is still passive, but I did change the pickup, which I think it's the least you can do to it. Tommorichards of this parish was assembling and selling clones of the 2EQ Stingray preamp... that would be a great addition to the OLP too! I got one, and it's going to go on my OLP. :)

Edited by mcnach

Spoke too soon.

Went to pick it up at lunchtime.

The only thing missing was a pair of green tights and a quiver of arrows to wear whilst playing it.
Yes, the neck had a bit of a shape to it.
Who knows, it might well have adjusted iut, but then again it might not at which point I'm stuck with it.

Walking away is sometimes the best approach.

Next !!

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1352204905' post='1859979']
Spoke too soon.

Went to pick it up at lunchtime.

The only thing missing was a pair of green tights and a quiver of arrows to wear whilst playing it.
Yes, the neck had a bit of a shape to it.
Who knows, it might well have adjusted iut, but then again it might not at which point I'm stuck with it.

Walking away is sometimes the best approach.

Next !!
[/quote]

it did seem a little cheap... pity.

hey, want a great one with all those mods already in place? I believe 'wildman' is still selling my old one.

I like these OLP's, just never find a use for them. Still have my OLP MM3. I'd mod it but the costs etc sometimes it'd be better to get the real deal.
The neck sounds odd though, I reckon it would have adjusted. People who have little experience in setting up often neglect the truss rod and gain as low an action they can get with the bridge alone and then wonder why it's still hard to fret! X-D
I'd have asked to take an Allen key to it. :-P

Edited by Kongo

• 3 weeks later...