Why become a member? ×

Great bottom end--thin treble

gypsyjazzer

I have a well made German D/B--circa. 1880'ish. Good solid acoustic sound all over the F/B. When I amplify the sound at the bottom end (Nut) area of the neck the sound is great. As I move up the F/B (Past D on the G string) the volume on the G & D strings tend to thin out--almost acoustic in volume. Have you experienced the same problem?
I use a GK MB150S amp with an 'Acusound' strip transducer attached to the table behind the bridge. (The transducer is made for acoustic guitar---about 5 inches x 1/2 inch---[b]but [/b]works well on the D/B producing good volume in the bottom half of the bass.)
[b]Thought:[/b] Would a second transducer placed under the F/B solve the problem?

i borrowed a acusound strip once and reasly didnt get on with it. piezos work best when under pressure from both sides of the pickup ie a wing slot type. The acusound is just stuck on there, it gave a very unfucussed amd unbalanced sound when i tried it. Also a very weak output, to the point where I thought it was broken! ( maybe it was). Try other pickups, IMO there are much better ones out there, and cheaper too.

I wouldn't put another transducer under the fingerboard, not unless you're wanting a 'click' sound like in Rockabilly. I'm with keeponehandloose, sounds like you're current transducer's not doing / upto the job and there are better ones out there.

Many thanks for your response to my question.
What make of pick-up have you tried that you are happy with?--and gives[b] good acoustic reproduction.[/b]
I also play banjo & guitar and for me I always go back to the mic.as being the best-- [b]But[/b] always the feedback problem.

Never tried the Fishman 'Full Circle' for D/B--one of the best out there?

There's a load of threads about pickups eg this one [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/190082-double-bass-pickups/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/190082-double-bass-pickups/[/url]

I like the Full Circle and Realist best of the ones I have tried but neither is cheap (unless you find one s/h) and the FC (which has the reputation of being very feedback resistant compared to other piezo pickups) requires fitting into an adjustable bridge. The cheap and cheerful choice is a BassMax or Shadow/Underwood. The latest favorite of many on TalkBass and some BCers (eg, thisnameistaken) though is the Ehrlund contact pickup. Thats up there in FC territory price-wise but if it works on your bass it apparently sounds fantastically natural.