Why become a member? ×

John Fahnestock - Snot - what gear?

Taria

Hi guys

I was revisiting Get Some by Snot yesterday and I absolutely love John Fahnestocks bass tone, especially on the ifrst track. I did a search to see what bass/amp/effects etc he uses just out of interest and could not find any info except a small endorsement for a BBE DI...

Anyone know anything about the equipment he uses? Especially from the 'Snot' era?

Thanks in advance...

I always liked playing 'Stoopid', I thought it was an 80's Ibanez in the video like a Roadster or Blazer or somesuch, but I've just watched it again and it's not at all. Now I'm curious what it is. Something with single coils and a scratchplate that has the look of an Ibby ATK...

Agreed, great tone.
AFAIK the first album was recorded with an Ibanez Expressionist bass - similar to this one:

[url="http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-IBANEZ-TR-EXPRESSIONIST-BASS-TR500-SUNBURST-107796401-i2539576.gc"]http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-IBANEZ-TR-EXPRESSIONIST-BASS-TR500-SUNBURST-107796401-i2539576.gc[/url]

I think the G & Ls came along later.

Wish I knew what distortion pedal he used though!

John uses Fender P basses these days and also a MM Stingray once in a while through Ampeg amps. As far as the distortion pedal...could be anything, but I used to use a Marshall Jackhammer that got very close to the same tone.

My band use to cover a couple of their songs years ago...'Joy Ride' and 'The Box'. Since they reformed they have struggled to get a deal and it was unfortunate that they had to change the name to Tons. The outshining member of that band for me has always been Jamie Miller. What an incredible drummer!

A band very much cut down before they hit their prime. R.I.P. Lynn Strait