Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN - moved to eBay - DiMarzio Model J DP123 Jazz Bass pickup set

I am restoring my Silver Series Squier Jazz to original spec before (probably) moving it on, so I have just removed the DiMarzio DP123 pickup set that has lived in it for the last few years.

You can get the full gen [url="http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/bass/standard-bass/area-j-pair"]here[/url], but basically these pickpups are hum-cancelling, with 4-conductor wiring. Rather than being 'stacked', the two coils sit side-by-side (one for the E and A strings, one for the D and G), a bit like a non-staggered Precision pickup. You can connect the coils in series for a fat, mid-heavy sound, or in parallel, for a brighter, more open sound. A DPDT switch per pickup (which could be on a push-pull pot) will allow switching between the two sounds if you wish - it's up to you how far you want to get into this!

DC resistance is about 6.8k with the coils in series. The black pole pieces are adjustable using an Allen key. These are currently set to give good string balance using 45-105 Elites.

There is plenty of wire left (the shortest length being about 5 inches) which is plenty to reach the control cavity and still leave room for manoeuvre.

There are no mounting screws supplied, so you will have to use the ones on the recipient bass, or obtain a new set if doing a 'bitsa' build.

There is one slight oddity about the bridge pickup in that the magnets are reversed in their polarity, I believe from the time of manufacture. I will supply full details of this, but it just means you have to substitute red for green, and white for black (compared to the neck pickup), when reading wiring diagrams.

[u]Important note about dimensions[/u]: These pickups follow the original Fender convention of having a slightly longer pickup in the treble position, to match the slight splay of the strings as they get nearer to the bridge. I believe some more recent (Mexican?) models use a short (neck-position-size) pickup in the both positions, meaning that the DiMarzio bridge pickup will not fit in the cavity without a bit of routing. Also they were quite a snug fit in the cavities on my MIJ Squier. See [url="http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/4strjcovdim.pdf"]here[/url] for DiMarzio's stated dimensions.

I am looking for [color=#ff0000][s][b][size=5]£70[/size][/b][/s][/color] [color=#00ff00][b][size=5]£60 [/size][/b][/color][color=#0000CD][b]delivered within the UK[/b][/color]. Please reply here me with any general questions, or PM me with offers. I am not looking for any trades at present.

[attachment=121724:DiMarzioDP123_set.jpg]

Edited by JapanAxe

Edit: On reflection I really can't afford it at this time if I'm honest with myself. I'm withdrawing for that reason. Sorry! These pickups get rave reviews and are said to produce a very different flavour to the jazz bass. Definitely something I have on my want to try list.

I'm interested, PM incoming :)

Edited by DoesThisBassLookBigOnMe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...