Why become a member? ×

Bad wrist position on fretting hand?

chrismuzz

Glad I spotted this thread, it's highlighted a problem in my own playing. A couple weeks ago I had some tingling in my left hand, thinking back I'd been practicing more than usual beforehand. Said tingling lasted on and off about a week, it has faded since with the odd rare relapse. Going to adjust my strap position in response, I'd never realised playing could cause this, though now it makes perfect sense.

I wonder if its related to finger length, I have rather short fingers and find I had to arch my wrist somewhat to achieve speed and dexterity on my E string sometimes, clearly now due to the strap needing to be shorter, but I don't have it longer than anyone else I know.

Hold your hand out straight and natural and then wiggle your fingers quickly and independently.

Now do the same again and cock your wrist to the awkward angle that it is in, in that photograph, and wiggle your fingers with the same dexterity.

How does it feel? Probably stifled with more strain and less movement?

Apart from causing any injury, you are also reducing your playing development potential!

[quote name='philparker' timestamp='1350924888' post='1845132']
Hold your hand out straight and natural and then wiggle your fingers quickly and independently.

Now do the same again and cock your wrist to the awkward angle that it is in, in that photograph, and wiggle your fingers with the same dexterity.

How does it feel? Probably stifled with more strain and less movement?

Apart from causing any injury, you are also reducing your playing development potential!
[/quote]

Damn! That's a considerable difference :o

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1350813546' post='1843639']
Thanks man, I've been considering strap height for a while but have actually been lowering it to prevent shoulder and right hand problems! Looks like it's gonna be a trial and error, finding the balance type job... again!

Of all the things to get hung up about and with me it's bloody strap height :lol:
[/quote]

I play metal mostly, from Progressive to Brutal Death and my bass guitar is up high-ish. Mind you, most technical players these days realise this, low slung guitars in metal are seen less and less. That being said, it's easier to get away with when using a pick because of the desired angle.

Anyway, for shoulder problems I know what you mean. Higher strapped basses feel heavier and my main bass is pretty weighty. May I suggest the purchase of a 4" leather strap? I've been using them for years, takes the weight right off because it distributes it across more surface area.
As for right hand problems I'm interested, what is the issue? Do you tend to glue your elbow to your ribs? I play more on the neck pickup unless there are cleaner parts that need less "umph" then it's straight to the bridge, but my right hand has no issues.

As for the original position, I think unless you feel pain you've just looked at the picture and winced lol. Blues players tend to come in the fretboard at an angle on the electric guitar, I don't think it's an issue.
You hand looks like mine though. It does come from your hand wanting to get over the amount of fretboard that currently isn't there, but it also looks like you stick to one finger per fret with strict discipline and fret notes right on the end of your finger tip. That could explain the angle and finger span. :-)

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1351036188' post='1846611']
I play metal mostly, from Progressive to Brutal Death and my bass guitar is up high-ish. Mind you, most technical players these days realise this, low slung guitars in metal are seen less and less. That being said, it's easier to get away with when using a pick because of the desired angle.

Anyway, for shoulder problems I know what you mean. Higher strapped basses feel heavier and my main bass is pretty weighty. May I suggest the purchase of a 4" leather strap? I've been using them for years, takes the weight right off because it distributes it across more surface area.
As for right hand problems I'm interested, what is the issue? Do you tend to glue your elbow to your ribs? I play more on the neck pickup unless there are cleaner parts that need less "umph" then it's straight to the bridge, but my right hand has no issues.

As for the original position, I think unless you feel pain you've just looked at the picture and winced lol. Blues players tend to come in the fretboard at an angle on the electric guitar, I don't think it's an issue.
You hand looks like mine though. It does come from your hand wanting to get over the amount of fretboard that currently isn't there, but it also looks like you stick to one finger per fret with strict discipline and fret notes right on the end of your finger tip. That could explain the angle and finger span. :-)
[/quote]

Thanks for the super long response!

The wide strap thing is a great suggestion, however it's not the weight that's the issue, I used to work in a warehouse and I still lift weights frequently so my strength and stamina are very good in that respect. In fact I prefer it to feel heavier because it feels like i'm actually holding something, if that makes sense! My shoulder issue arose when I used to have the strap up quite high, and because my arms are quite long, I had to raise my right shoulder and curl up my arm resulting in bad posture, less freedom of movement and less strength, and i used to get sharp pains in my shoulder.

When I said right hand issues, I should have explained what I meant really... It's not pain or discomfort, but because I like to play hard between the neck and bridge pickups to get my sound, I find it much easier, and never get fatigued when I do this with a straighter arm, which commands a longer strap.

I am going to have a long practice session before my next gig and play around with strap heights some more (I have been changing it a lot lately), this time paying very close attention to my wrists!

With regards to the one finger per fret, and fretting with my finger tips... I don't do these exclusively but I DO do them. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, that's another thing I need to look at!

[quote name='popoctave' timestamp='1351040005' post='1846626']
Nowt wrong with it luv but your ring looks a bit tight.....
[/quote]

Oh my ring is very tight big boy ;)

By the way, I just want to say this:

A few minutes after originally starting this thread, I wondered if it might have been a bit trivial... Very surprised with the amount of helpful responses I've had so far... So thanks! Basschat and its members have once again proven to be an invaluable resource :)

I hope at least one other person finds all the info here useful some time.

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1351041453' post='1846629']

A few minutes after originally starting this thread, I wondered if it might have been a bit trivial... Very surprised with the amount of helpful responses I've had so far... So thanks! Basschat and its members have once again proven to be an invaluable resource :)

[/quote]

Anything that enhances your physical well being with regards bass playing is never trivial IMO.

Hope you found the tips/advice in the thread useful.

Best of luck. :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1351041263' post='1846628']
Thanks for the super long response!

The wide strap thing is a great suggestion, however it's not the weight that's the issue, I used to work in a warehouse and I still lift weights frequently so my strength and stamina are very good in that respect. In fact I prefer it to feel heavier because it feels like i'm actually holding something, if that makes sense! My shoulder issue arose when I used to have the strap up quite high, and because my arms are quite long, I had to raise my right shoulder and curl up my arm resulting in bad posture, less freedom of movement and less strength, and i used to get sharp pains in my shoulder.

When I said right hand issues, I should have explained what I meant really... It's not pain or discomfort, but because I like to play hard between the neck and bridge pickups to get my sound, I find it much easier, and never get fatigued when I do this with a straighter arm, which commands a longer strap.

I am going to have a long practice session before my next gig and play around with strap heights some more (I have been changing it a lot lately), this time paying very close attention to my wrists!

With regards to the one finger per fret, and fretting with my finger tips... I don't do these exclusively but I DO do them. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, that's another thing I need to look at!

Oh my ring is very tight big boy ;)
[/quote]
[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1351041453' post='1846629']

[/quote]

Well, there's not many metal bass brethren here so I think it's only fair. :-)

Ok strap width, it allows for the weight to distribute along your shoulder better but you'll still feel an anchor on you. I also work out very hard, to begin with it was so my shoulders could take my 6-string Peavey grind when I was only 18 haha. Broad shoulders help but joints still exist.
If it's to do with your arm I guess you need to find a happy medium. I agree though, Mark King height does hurt.
I think my bass is slightly higher than yours is worn but then it's hard to tell. I'm 5' 11" so maybe my arms are shorter.

I guess you can just play around but yeah, for fatigue reasons I'd suggest a 3" strap at least, especially for the 6-string. You'll still know it's there, but it'll allow you to stand for longer sets without getting aches and also helps your spine in the long run I find. :-)