Why become a member? ×

Clover Xpression 15.6 FT/FS TRADE PENDING

guybrush threepwood

Just putting this out on a feeler at the moment to see what's about. I'm kind of starting to think that I should simply focus on 4 string; I don't have as much time to play nowadays, so can't really give this the dedication it needs. With that said, it's a very easy bass to play - the first 6 string I've had and I haven't found the neck too much of a problem to get around, as it's very slinky front to back!

Electronics-wise, it's a little different... It did have a delano preamp in, but I simply do not get on with active electronics. I had this removed and replaced with what is essentially a les paul wiring scheme, but the tone controls are 11 way varitone-type controls. They each have 10 different value caps and a bypass, and retain mid better than a standard tone control, making for some very nice tones! There is also a mini switch which coil taps the pickups, this selects: both pickups as single coils, neck as a single and bridge as a humbucker, or both as humbuckers. However, as they're delano quad coil humbuckers, even when they're running as single coils they are humcancelling; they act as a split coil, like a precision.

It's recently been setup, is fitted with R Cocco strings and has a semi-hard (ooh matron) case.

Price-wise, I'd be looking at £500 ono collected. I'd much rather trade for something with four strings, preferably passive and jazz shaped, but would take anything into consideration. :)

[attachment=120325:IMG_5389.JPG] [attachment=120326:IMG_5390.JPG]

Edited by guybrush threepwood

Right, I've had another play on this tonight and decided that the 6 string thing definitely isn't for me.

So, I've lowered the price and am open to offers and trades, as I'd like to get another 4 string as soon as I can! At the moment the only other bass I have is a precision, so I'm definitely after something with a bridge pickup!

[quote name='voxpop' timestamp='1349952128' post='1832566']
This is a crazy price ... Around £1600 when new.

Can you post ?
[/quote]
Aye, I just want a four string I can play jazz on asap. My precision just doesn't float my boat for jazz. :)

Posting might be an issue - it can't really be collected from my work. However, I'd be more than happy to meet with people half way, etc.

[quote name='voxpop' timestamp='1349954312' post='1832597']
Can you give more info on the 11 way tone controls. What are the 11 options ?

Thanks.
[/quote]

They basically take the place of the tone pots - each one has 10 different value caps connected to ground, and a bypass path. So, you start at the bypass and gradually work into larger value caps, rolling off more treble. So they work exactly like tone pots, but I much prefer the sound - in the lowest setting the sound is actually usable as it has more low mids and doesn't sound like mush!

Yes it is B), cheers Craig and hope you like the jazz! However as I have never played a 6 properly I'll have to see how I get on with one, if I can't do 6 strings it'll be back on here sooner than you can say 'Alan Carrot has too many strings!!'

Edited by jimbobothy