Why become a member? ×

Cistom ?? CUSTOM ! Headless Through-neck.......mmmmm ........nice!

rogerds

[attachment=119861:ja 01.jpg]

[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Rare.... never seen another - although there is a review on Harmony Central....[/font][/size]
[url="http://www.harmonycentral.com/products/96461"]http://www.harmonyce.../products/96461[/url]

[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Made by 'Jay Armstrong' - all I could find is that he was a UK luthier working in the 70's - but obviously good at his craft when you look at this - anyone know of him ??[/font][/size]

[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Through neck construction - I'm no expert but ?maple neck with rosewood fretboard and mahogany body and all the hardware is brass - even the cover plate on the back, the strap buttons and the nut for the jack socket! [/font][/size]
[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]I believe the pickups to be Kent Armstrong (thats 'proper' Kent Armstrong - not the ones made under licence) and even they are secured using bolts to a backing plate rather than just screws into the wood[/font][/size]
[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]'Steinberger' type tuning as you can see from the pics and again, look at the way in which the tuning tailpiece is elegantly mounted and also the machining of the bridge and saddles [/font][/size]
[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Neck is 24 fret , is straight and truss rod turns OK. Scale length is standard 34". Width at the first fret is 1 5/8" (approx 41mm for younger viewers ;) ; and at the 12th fret 2 1/8" (54mm) The neck has a pleasant 'chunky' feel to it - difficult for me to measure (no micrometer gauge) but i would guess at 7/8" thick at nut; 1 1/8 at 12th fret with a flat feel to the fretboard and almost a semicircle shape / feel to the neck itself. [/font][/size]
[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Although it says 'Active' on the bridge - it is not - I guess the electrics have been changed / modified at some time in its history The controls are [/font][/size]
[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]1 - switch to change pickups [/font][/size]
[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]2 - Separate volume controls for the bridge and neck pickups [/font][/size]
[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]3 - Rotary tone control [/font][/size]
[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]4 - 12 position rotary switch linked to differing capacitors ( see the pics) [/font][/size]
[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]There is a minor blemish on the fretboard between the 9th and 10th fret (see pics) and also on the back of the neck (again see the pics) - neither of which affect playability at all [/font][/size]
[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]So.... what about the sound.... hmmm - I always find it difficult to describe - its so personal and subjective - I could use words like 'warm' and 'full' for the neck pickup whilst the bridge pickup sounds as if it project more 'middle' to me - but obviously you are very, very welcome to come and experience it for yourself ! (I'm in Poole on the south cost so may not be too easy for some !) [/font][/size]
[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Why am I selling? .... hmmmm.. like others I guess - financial stress in the current economic climate [/font][/size][size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive] :([/font][/size]

[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]£499[/font][/size]
[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive](just seen that Harmony Central review quotes £1650 !)[/font][/size]
[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]apologies if original wording offended - certainly not intended[/font][/size]

[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive]other 'old' stuff to follow[/font][/size]

[size=5][font=comic sans ms,cursive][attachment=119856:ja bridge pus.jpg][attachment=119860:ja body 01.jpg][attachment=119857: ja back body.jpg][attachment=119859:ja ja bridge 03.jpg][attachment=119863:ja bridge apart 02.jpg][attachment=119862:ja electrics.jpg][/font][/size]

Edited by rogerds