Why become a member? ×

DVD OR BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ROCKABILLY PLEASE

ChrisF

It looks like lessons are out for the foreseeable future. So I am after either a dvd ( preferably )....or a book, its got to be aimed at rockabilly bass. Ive had a look on line and cant seem to find anything from the UK ( I don't really want to order something from USA or Europe).

I know its not ideal, but at the moment its a dvd/book or nothing.

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1348929334' post='1819858']
This one? I haven't seen it, so can;t comment.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lee-Rocker-Rockabilly-Slap-Bass/dp/B0009IRKGA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1348929391&sr=8-5"]http://www.amazon.co...48929391&sr=8-5[/url]

oops, edited for UK version.
[/quote]

cheers...saw that one..not heard good things about it unfortunately .....plus HOW MUCH!!!????..for a dvd ??? :o

[quote name='lockpicker1969' timestamp='1348939752' post='1820002']
i bought this dvd a while ago, cant remember paying £28 though but i do know its a good dvd to learn from
[/quote]

Is it ok for someone who is pretty much still a beginner ?? ..after a trawl through the net, Ive only found bad review which is the one on Amazon that I first saw..

...I will try ebay and see how much it is on there.

I have no first hand experience of the books or DVD's, but there are others out there..

Didi Beck has a couple of things out... [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=didi+beck"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=didi+beck[/url]

Didi is a member of German band Boppin B but the book appears to be in both German and English if you do the "Look Inside" thing. I believe that the other item is not sheet music, but a DVD. I suspect that that will be German.

Nicolas Dobouchet has a DVD out called Slapology, available in French and English, but I can't see a UK outlet for it, only via a US website.

I think you would learn more from those than from the Lee Rocker video.

That first book looks good. My idea with a dvd is that I could play along with it in my practice room. But I think I may get the book as well so that I can read it at lunchtimes at work.

Gonna have to leave a few weeks between each...spent loads recently :blush:

thanks all B)

[quote name='invicta59' timestamp='1348951438' post='1820152']
Just an "off-the-wall" thought, but have you thought about approaching the bass player at any local gigs and getting some hints and tips from them? I'm sure most would be happy to share some knowledge, and if they don't - well, you'd be no worse off, other than the cost of a night out :)
[/quote]

Funny you should say that...I go to a rockabilly/rock n roll club once a month..and they usually have a band. And I have been tempted to approach the bass player on several occasions, but Ive never worked up the nerve...sad huh!? 47 years old and too shy to ask for a few tips.

But its a good idea...so I might just have a few pints of courage ;) and ask the next bands bass player....although I dont want to come over as annoying.

cheers for the nudge :)

Slapolgy by the french player Nicolas Dubouchet, one of the best in my opinion, there is an English version

http://youtu.be/7EquOV956fs

http://www.artofslapbass.com/artofslapbass/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9%3Aslapology&Itemid=10
http://www.artofslapbass.com/artofslapbass/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=6&Itemid=5

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1348952960' post='1820171']
Funny you should say that...I go to a rockabilly/rock n roll club once a month..and they usually have a band. And I have been tempted to approach the bass player on several occasions, but Ive never worked up the nerve...sad huh!? 47 years old and too shy to ask for a few tips.

But its a good idea...so I might just have a few pints of courage ;) and ask the next bands bass player....although I dont want to come over as annoying.

cheers for the nudge :)
[/quote]

I felt just the same as you at open mic nights but then I had to ask the bass player if I could use his amp - and got such a lot of friendly help and advice. Bassplayers are great! Each and every bassist I've approached has been so lovely, friendly and helpful. One said that it was great to meet another bass player, adding that he didn't usually meet other bassists unless they'd been double booked. So I suspect your bassists will be only to pleased to have someone appreciate their skills and knowledge.

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1349005827' post='1820525']
I felt just the same as you at open mic nights but then I had to ask the bass player if I could use his amp - and got such a lot of friendly help and advice. Bassplayers are great! Each and every bassist I've approached has been so lovely, friendly and helpful. One said that it was great to meet another bass player, adding that he didn't usually meet other bassists unless they'd been double booked. So I suspect your bassists will be only to pleased to have someone appreciate their skills and knowledge.
[/quote]

My missus said pretty much the same as you.....except she mentioned something about me boring someone else rather than her :biggrin:

• 3 months later...

An update for those who care :)

So...Ive finally ordered The Didi Beck book. Ive also put my name on the Innovation Rockabilly string list.

The band has changed personnel a bit over the last few months...and now has a name.... "King Daddy and the Blackrats" and a facebook and myspace page. We have been getting together whenever we can...and have even recorded a couple of songs thanks to my sons university course. He needed to record a band as they would have been recorded in the era of the music that they play...so we got recorded as a 50s band would have been..or as close as possible. Although on hearing it we are more rock than rockabilly at the moment, but we are working on it and have made some good progress towards the sound that we want. The mix of punk, rock and rockabilly seems to be leaning far too heavily towards punk at the moment.

My bass is now living in my bedroom.....so in my best carry-on voice I can now say "Im just off upstairs to give Holly a slap" ;) :D

I will be having my 2 year old hip removed in Feb, and another new one put in :rolleyes: as my body is rejecting the material that this one is made of..basically lots of pain and very little movement :angry: :( .... So I will be having 6 or 8 months off work with nowt to do except play my bass...so not all bad then ;)

...so hopefully this time next year I will be fit n healthy ..and a much,much better bass player.

Chris

Just as an addition to the above recommendations, though I expect you're probably past the point where DVDs will offer you much now you've been at it for a little while - I probably got most out of Slap Bass: The Ungentle Art (Kevin Smith and Mark Rubin). Again, it can be quite expensive for a DVD, but worth it IMO. If you still use DVDs, still don't want to order outside the UK and you want to borrow it, I'll send you mine if you send it back after a month or something. Its a world better than the Lee Rocker one and breaks things down with different views and such. I like the Didi Beck book as well, hope you find it useful.

And I'd be another vote for standing by the stage staring intently at what a good bass player's doing, then collaring them after if you get chance. I've picked up some useful stuff that way, especially about setup, and met some cool guys (I even got a drink out of "Slick" Joe Fick!).

Cheers for the reply Andy. Your offer of a lend of your dvd is very kind of you. According to Amazon, the Didi Beck book is supposed to turn up next Thursday, so I will see how I get on with that. I think that I really need to speak to someone who plays and say... "this is how I play with my right hand..is it ok?" and " this is how I play with my left hand is that ok?" ....Im playing the thing..I just dont know if Im doing it right.

If money allows, when my hip has recovered sufficiently from the op, I will definately try to get a lesson or two from Daf Lewis..as he is only up the road from me.

I managed to get very close to the stage a few weeks back and watched the bass player very closely. He seemed to be up and down the fingerboard like a madman...... dont get me wrong...it sounded ok, but he did seem to make it harder for himself.