Why become a member? ×

I've tried to spend less time on bass related sites...but this...ARGHHH

Musicman20

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1348686521' post='1816989']
ooooff this is one of the things that put me of any stingray - my current basses range from 7.8 - 9 pounds - over 10 seems very heavy - my old T40 was about 13 pounds....
[/quote]

I know there are some people who like a heavy bass ( some people say they sound better , but I don't believe them ) , but I cannot get past the fact that if my shoulder and back are aching so much that I can't enjoy playing and can't concentrate then the whole exercise is a waste of time for me . There should be a Geneva Convention for bass players which outlaws basses over a certain weight. There are plenty of EBMM basses of a reasonable weight if you look out for them, though. The variation in weight can be huge, easily two pounds or more in some cases , from one example to the next , so if you can try before you buy I wouldn't totally discount the idea of ever getting a Stingray.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1348686521' post='1816989']
ooooff this is one of the things that put me of any stingray - my current basses range from 7.8 - 9 pounds - over 10 seems very heavy - my old T40 was about 13 pounds....
[/quote]

Luke not wishing to be rude but if you read the above posts, the current EBMM basses tend to be lower than 10 lbs - in fact some are super light - your idea that all Stingrays are over 10 lbs is actually wrong. Now pre Ernie Balls can be super heavy (I've heard of them up to 15 lbs). You are right that they tend to be a bit heavier than the basses you mention, however.

I'm with Dingus re the weight of basses - you'd be amazed how, if you're not in the first flush of youth, a heavy bass can give you back strain/ache. However I disagree on tone v weight - my least favourite bass, tone wise is my lightest, and my favourite is the heaviest - however I would doubt anyone blindfolded out front would be able to tell which was which from the sound (or indeed what type of bass they were unless I was playing out front (soloing) or slapping or something.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1348530645' post='1814980']
WIthout a doubt - you mean this Reflex :o :gas: :gas: :gas:

[url="http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-basses/54488-now-something-different-pdn-reflex-hh-5-a.html"]http://forums.ernieb...lex-hh-5-a.html[/url]
[/quote]

It occurred to me whilst trying to get to sleep last night that if you buy this Reflex that you don't get a mahogany tone block as such, by virtue of the fact that the whole thing is mahogany. I wonder if they substitute it for an ash tone block? Probably not, I expect..

Edited by Dingus