Why become a member? ×

Tuning to E to D

oggiesnr

Amongst other music that I play I also play for a local morris team. Much of the music is in G or E minor. I tend to play at the bottom of the register because that way I keep out of the way of the bass end of the squeezeboxes and of the guitar. Going down to D would be really useful. I know I can get a bass with a D extension but I'm not in that sort of market (or price range) so the question is has anyone tried dropping the E string to D? If so, did it work? I'm currently using Spirocore mediums.

Thanks,

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1347315005' post='1799348']
Amongst other music that I play I also play for a local morris team. Much of the music is in G or E minor. I tend to play at the bottom of the register because that way I keep out of the way of the bass end of the squeezeboxes and of the guitar. Going down to D would be really useful. I know I can get a bass with a D extension but I'm not in that sort of market (or price range) so the question is has anyone tried dropping the E string to D? If so, did it work? I'm currently using Spirocore mediums.

Thanks,

Steve
[/quote]
I'm using Spirocore Lights and I inadvertantly tuned to D-G-C-A. It sounded fine and I thought my fingers had got really strong - until I realised.

Yes, it can be done. If you're using Spirocore Mitts, are you using the S42 4/4 set or the 3885 3/4 set? If you're using the S42 4/4 set, then you might want to go with the 3/4 3885.5 E string when you tune down to D, as it is the slightest bit heavier than the S39 E string out of the S42 set, and may hold both tune and balance better with the rest of the S42 ADG. Or, you might just go Stark on the E string to see what happens. And yes, as above, once you retune, I'd leave it there, both to avoid the touchups to the other strings, and to avoid unnecessary wear on the string at the stress points.

Edited by iiipopes