Why become a member? ×

Gibson three point bass bridge

basslowdown

Thread resurrection to add tuppence worth ...

I just replaced the 3-point bridge on my 91 Gibson with a Hipshot Supertone bought from USA.

1. Yes, it does look a bit out of place. It's a fair lump of metal.

2. Installation was easy. Unscrew old, screw in new, throw away front bolt. String heights needed adjusting, as saddles were flat to the bridge (for shipping?). Intonation was only a tiny bit out.

2. It's [i]far[/i] more comfortable on your right hand than the 3-pointer (if you play down by the bridge). There are no spiky or pokey-out bits. It also feels much more substantial, as if it's actually attached to something. Which it is.

3. I had to pay import VAT duty, an extra £18. Which means you'd be as well buying it from one of the few UK suppliers at £99 or so, as this VAT nonsense means no saving by getting it at US price.

4. Sound-wise it doesn't seem much different to my ears.

Overall, if you have £100 to spare it seems like a good investment to me.

That Hipshot bridge might be superior mechanically to the Gibson one but it doesn't half look ugly!

Gibson should just stop messing around and license to 2-piece [url=https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badbird-Bridge/166569760043127]Badbird Bridge[/url] (an improved version of the bridge/tailpiece on the original Thunderbirds) and be done with it.

It is a big lump of metal, but surprisingly comfortable. Mostly because the bolt that catches your hand on the 3-point isn't poking up anymore. It also seems to balance the bass a bit better, though neck-dive can be almost completely eliminated via strap-button positioning and strap type anyway.

There's similar comfort on the Pro-IV bridge, and it seems to balance better out of the box - it's half a kilo heavier than the Classic Pro, so perhaps the body has a lump of lead hidden in it somewhere. (The Gibson seems somewhere in between, weight-wise)