Why become a member? ×

Jap Crap - Looking for info

PURPOLARIS

I've had this Jap Crap P-Bass in my garage for a while and yesterday I decided to have a closer look at it. It's not working so I decided to take off the scratchplate and have a look at the engine.

Anyway I found this written under the scratchplate and was wondering if it ever belonged to anyone on the board.

Also the pickup looks similar to a Dimarzio so I was just wondering if it was.

Any info on the bass would be appreciated.

Looks similar to a Jap P copy I bought in 79/80, truss rod adjuster was like that, mine was white but if I remember correctly the only colour choice for mine was white or sunburst. Mine had no name on the headstock, but was a quality bass and sounded good, unfortunately the only pic i've got of mine is a bit grainy from a distance, am following this thread with interest.

Someone once told me who had a strat from the same series that they were prototype unbranded Jap Fenders but I never found out if there was any truth in it (probably not), or just somebody trying to big up the instruments at the time, 82ish.

Edited by Cygnus x-1

This one also has no name on the headstock. I was hoping the guy would be a basschatter but no sign of him yet.

I'm going to get it working, not sure what's wrong with it yet but I am getting a reading from the pups so I doubt it's them. I'm not gigging this weekend so it'll give me some time to have a look at it. I'll probably order some new pots and a jack for it in the meantime.