Why become a member? ×

power tripping off due to a 9v pedal ??

adriansmith247

Hi

I have just sold a perfect condition Digitech Delay pedal on Evil Bay. Great feedback.

2 weeks later they want to return it as it has apparentlt developed an electrical fault and the result is that it is tripping their electric supply.

I replied saying it was very unlikely that a 9v pedal could do that and that it was probably a fault with the psu they chose to use.

Any thoughts?

Apart from 'I should have sold it on BC'

Ta

Adrian

The pedal, even in a fault condition, should not trip the mains.

The PSU 'should' have a diode fitted to stop reverse polarity.
It should also have a re-settable fuse in case of fault condition (ie shorting).

They probably used a very cheap centre +ve power supply instead of a 'proper' centre -ve PSU.

It is up to you how you deal with it.
Feedback being left is ok for ebay - if you are happy that the pedal was fine then they probably are just trying it on.

and yes, you should have sold it on BC lol

RcD 's can be a bit funny but in this case i would say its the psu for sure as its the only part connected to the ac of the fuse board
if its tripping the breaker on the ring main when no rcd is present then i would say there is a serious fault on the psu
tell them to try a new a psu

[quote name='mushers' timestamp='1347142410' post='1797459']
RcD 's can be a bit funny but in this case i would say its the psu for sure as its the only part connected to the ac of the fuse board
if its tripping the breaker on the ring main when no rcd is present then i would say there is a serious fault on the psu
tell them to try a new a psu
[/quote]

In fact, to take that a step further, if the pedal still works with a 9V battery then it gets Adrian 'off the hook' so to speak.

There's nothing in that pedal that could suddenly cause a PSU to trip an RCD, therefore the pedal is working and the PSU is their problem as it wasn't sold by Adrian.