Why become a member? ×

Flats, stainless or chrome?

Looper

Thanks andyjingram. Was looking at Ernie Ball flats and it says "Flat chrome plated steel wire wrapped around a hex shaped tin plated steel wire. Provides a smooth feel and mellow sound." My other choice from the place I'd normally get strings is the DR Fl-45 flats which are stainless.
Might look elsewhere if need be, can't say I know anything about flats so if anyone has a recommendation....

Fender steel flats (they're grey colour, not shiny chrome) 9050CL 45-60-80-105 converted me a couple of years ago from rounds, which I played for thirty-five years before that, to flats. They growl (in an almost subdued Rotosound Swingbass kind of way) when you want them to, are mellow when you need them to be, are absolutely consistent both string-to-string and up the neck, are value-for-money, and they last seemingly forever. I use them for everything from Friday night to Sunday morning.

Edited by iiipopes

Having been a round wound user (Rotosound & Elites mainly) for about 20 yesrs, I recently switched to LaBella Flatwounds. I am converted. They are not as bright as round wounds, the brightness I never really liked so I tended to change my strings less often than most. I also find that I can play licks using flatwounds much quicker and slicker than before, and with no left hand shifting string noise.