Why become a member? ×

My first build: Jazzcaster on a budget ;-)

pdw

I have always been fond of the sound of the original single coil Precision from the 50s and the Fender Telecaster basses from 60s and 70s, so I thought it would be cool to have a bass with both a scpb-pickup and a wide range humbucker. A few months ago, I was bored and drew this little mockup :

Some months later, I stumbled upon a cheap maple lefty Precision neck and decided to start looking for the other needed parts and actually build this beauty. Because I thought it would be a shame to waste valuable parts fort my first build, I try to keep it as cheap as possible ;)

This is what I have so far :

I got almost all parts from the extremely nice people at the Dutch bass players forum. I expect the last batch of parts to arrive in my mailbox any day now and then I can start the woodworking : filling up the bridge pickup cavity, routing of a cavity for the humbucker and converting the headstock into Tele style.

After that, it will be a challenge to get the electronics working, but when I succeed I can start thinking about the finishing of the bass : find a nice colour for the body, refinish the neck with a tinted glossy lacquer, make a custom pickguard, etc.

I will keep you people posted of my progress !

Edited by pdw

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1346270143' post='1787353']
That's stunning, great idea, I did a similar set up on a Yamaha BB300, it was a struggle to get the output if the pickups matched.
[/quote]
Nice ! Do you have any pictures ? What problems did you have with the mismatched output and how did you solve them ?

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1346270143' post='1787353']
(photoshop?)
[/quote]
Nope, [url="http://www.gimp.org/"]Gimp[/url]. Does anything Photoshop can, but much cheaper ;)

Edited by pdw

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/143317-yamaha-bb300-cheapest-build-thread-ever/page__st__20__p__1718061__hl__bb300__fromsearch__1#entry1718061"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/143317-yamaha-bb300-cheapest-build-thread-ever/page__st__20__p__1718061__hl__bb300__fromsearch__1#entry1718061[/url]

It was great fun.

Eventually I walked out of the band I was with and flogged it to a mate who was joining a bad, so I never really got round to resolving the output issues.

Shame really.