Why become a member? ×

Strings for an SG bass

Floyd

Can you give a little more detail or an image? I can't see why the strings wouldn't sit cleanly unless there was some mechanical or fitting problem - or maybe it's an issue with the silk wrap. I play short and medium scale basses with round wounds and have no problem with d'Addario medium scale strings.

On an SG bass there is only a very short distance between the string anchor point and the saddle so silk wrap strings have to be cut back otherwise the silk sits across the saddle. Also the string binding (don't know what it's really called) where the string is spiced next to the ferrule, this also goes over the saddles on my EPI EB3 which doesn't seem good although it plays OK and I can adjust the intonation. I was wondering if there are strings that are better suited to the Gibson 3 point bridge.

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1346055334' post='1784425']
Can you give a little more detail or an image? I can't see why the strings wouldn't sit cleanly unless there was some mechanical or fitting problem - or maybe it's an issue with the silk wrap. I play short and medium scale basses with round wounds and have no problem with d'Addario medium scale strings.
[/quote]

The ball ends when top loaded in a three point bridge are so close to the saddles (particularly the E string) that the silks (or the ratty end bit that the silks would cover) sometimes end up going over the saddle. Yet another reason why I shake my head every time I see it and every time I see Gibson continuing to employ it.

I can only quickly find a picture of a two point bridge exhibiting this phenomenon but the three pointer is guilty of it too.

If it's really bugging you then you can thread some sort of spacer over the string to the ball end prior to installation, or get one of these: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300765952589"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300765952589[/url] or have something similar made.

• 2 months later...

I've used Roto strings since day one & only ever had the wrap problem with the E, never had the other problem at all. Takes two mins with a Zippo to get rid of the wrap & it doesn't affect the string.
My 69 EB3 had the two point bridge & never had that issue at all, the 3 point one is just damn ugly!