Why become a member? ×

Marshall '76 4x12 with 55Hz G12Ms - OK for bass?

surfguy13

Hi Folks

Been looking for a cab to use with my old '65 Selmer Treble and Bass head. I suddenly realised that I have a mid 70s Marshall 4x12 with 55 Hz speakers. Could I use the cab for bass without damaging the speakers? I was told that Marshall used these speakers in both their guitar and bass cabs in the 70s (the 55Hz greenbacks) so I'm hoping they should be OK. This is, however, a guitar cab not a bass cab.

The head is a 50 watt head and the speakers are, I think, 25 watt greenbacks so hopefully there should be enough tolerance there. I'm not gigging, I'm a guitarist, and only use a bass in my converted garage so not horrendously high volumes.

Photo of speakers below.....I hope?!

[IMG]http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx272/surfguy13/1976%20Marshall%204x12%20Quad%20Celestion%20G12M/Marshall4x1219764.jpg[/IMG]

I've used pretty much the same cab for the last 30years for bass duties, a Marshall 4x12 loaded with 50w speakers (only one original Celestion though). It really depends what you're looking for in a cabinet - it won't do any real bass, as the frequency response drops off like a stone below 100hz. But then I've always been about low mids rather than bass. And this cabs has low mids aplenty.

You're unlikely to do any damage to it so give it a shot. Mine survived 6 months as the bass backline in a rehearsal room with 175w on tap, with doubtless the typical kind of abuse studio amps get, and only one speaker got damaged. With sensible use you'll be fine.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1345921595' post='1783230']
Alright if you are expecting to sound like a guitar. The speakers are going to break up a fair bit, so you'll have a lot of distortion even if the amp is clean, don't try and get any bottom out of it.
[/quote]

That's really helpful....thanks! I will indeed be careful in respect of dialing in too much bass!!

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1345921911' post='1783235']
I've used pretty much the same cab for the last 30years for bass duties, a Marshall 4x12 loaded with 50w speakers (only one original Celestion though). It really depends what you're looking for in a cabinet - it won't do any real bass, as the frequency response drops off like a stone below 100hz. But then I've always been about low mids rather than bass. And this cabs has low mids aplenty.

You're unlikely to do any damage to it so give it a shot. Mine survived 6 months as the bass backline in a rehearsal room with 175w on tap, with doubtless the typical kind of abuse studio amps get, and only one speaker got damaged. With sensible use you'll be fine.
[/quote]

You're SO right! That is really what I needed to know, whether I was going to do any damage as I really like the cab for guitar.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1345937558' post='1783460']
Marshall guitar cabs and Bass cabs of that era used the same speakers, in fact they were the same cabs. I know, I took enough backs off during the time. Guitar cabs were rated at 100w and bass cabs were rated at 75w and had bass on them.

That's what I was wondering - if Marshall cabs in the 70s were the same for bass and guitar. I suspected they were due to the lack of real thump and as Musky said, you get low mids but no real bottom end.

The speakers in the cab are 55Hz so they are 'bass' speakers and the cones are stamped 444 which apparently confirms they are bass speakers so I was told today so I don't think I can do any real damage at all unless I'm unlucky.

Really appreciate the replies and the suggestions. Not sure if the cab is going to do it for me in the long term but I will continue to use it until I can find a dedicated bass cab.

[/quote]