Why become a member? ×

Stupid daisy chain/power question

If there's a 9V 'out' socket as well then I'd expect it to be possible to use that to power another pedal in a daisly chain configuration, which would certainly be convenient in terms of reducing PSUs and mains socket requirements.

However, such a configuration raises questions about PSU capability and total power required because it won't be possible to daisy chain any number of pedals, there will be a power limit for any given PSU.

All of which is a preamble to suggesting you need to check the details in the pedal instruction manuals. The principle of daisy-chaining power is fine but the details need some attention.

I have a korg tuner pedal with a 9v out...its okay if you wanna use 2 other pedals but any more and the current (i think) isnt high enough and the other pedals cut out. I got a 9v psu with a daisy chain type lead that seems to have cured it.

Thanks guys. I took a chance, and the first one was 'in' and I put the rest 'out'
The power supply , was bought from Maplins yesterday,and the guy who sold it to me,
was familiar with the Boss units. The power is spot on for all pedals.

Another question: I have used patch leads etc. to join up the 3 boss units I have.
However, only 2 will work together.
Any ideas where I'm going wrong? Or can I only link up 2rack effects at a time?

The 'out' socket was to allow you to run a daisy chain or link cable from one pedal when you were using a regular single power supply rather than one designed to have a daisy chain plugged into it. Either way (a daisy on the power supply or from the pedal) will get you the same results.

Be wary of using a daisy chain other a supply that does not offer much mA/juice for your pedals or that is not designed for a daisy chain - while it may 'work', it may also get hot/noisy.

As for your patching - they should all work together... I would say something is not connected correctly. Everything powered up? Volumes up? Changed cables? Double checked correct ins/outs being used etc?

Shep