Why become a member? ×

strings...just an idea...

BobVbass

Hello, well fresh back from my hols and after 4 weeks of resting my dodgy tendon in my finger it's no better at all. ho hum.

Anyway, while I was ordering my new Presto Light strings to see if they'll help I suddenly thought that I have a set of Thomastik Weichs and a set of steel cored Weedwacker things sitting about. I could flog them but then got to wondering after all the posts we see on "what are these like, should I try this/that or the other combination of strings and pickups whether I should just loan them out to people that want to try them (I've a spare kent armstrong as well) - what do you think?

Bob

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1345462660' post='1777683']
Hello, well fresh back from my hols and after 4 weeks of resting my dodgy tendon in my finger it's no better at all. ho hum.

Anyway, while I was ordering my new Presto Light strings to see if they'll help I suddenly thought that I have a set of Thomastik Weichs and a set of steel cored Weedwacker things sitting about. I could flog them but then got to wondering after all the posts we see on "what are these like, should I try this/that or the other combination of strings and pickups whether I should just loan them out to people that want to try them (I've a spare kent armstrong as well) - what do you think?

Bob
[/quote]

think you and me are doing similar thing with strings. just taken my steel core weedwhackers off and strung up a set of innovation golden slaps (on trial from the string trial thread). they are insanely low tension, if you have tendon probs i would have thought they would be a great option. zero response through a magnetic pickup but have to admit the feeling of low tension is amazing. slapping is so easy and sounds so much nicer than those weedwhackers. pizz sounds great too, very loud and every note "blooms" satisfyingly. think i will try the presto nylonwounds light next as they should be of comparable tension but with mag response thrown in too. if you dont get on with your set i really wouldnt mind you giving them away to me...... ;)

Hey, check out alexander Technique I use it alot as I suffered from RSI and Tendonitis of the shoulders and it does come back from time to time but thats when I've not practiced good posture as well... I'm still working on making it second nature... but just an idea could help you some how... and wont cost you much or anything at all! Youtube must have some vids! good luck! - F

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1345562649' post='1778890']
now see what you've done! I was happy with prestos until you posted that :D

now I'm going to have to start looking at non mag pickups again as well :D

I'll give the prestos a go first though I think!
[/quote]

How do the prestos feel? Are they lower tension than the steel core weed wackers (I reckon the d and g are actually very high tension, almost unslappable). Do they pizz ok as well? If they are too slack then pizz sounds a bit naff. Think I will make a purchase but interested in your take in them first.

Edited by BassInMyFace

should be here today so I'll let you know. I wasn't impressed by the weedwackers at all tbh and agree with the tension comment - they felt no less and maybe more than my thomastiks. The covering felt really grippy to me as well; I'm sure that didn't help my finger at all with the extra sideways force in slides.

Here's hoping Prestos will save the day - I really don't want to go back to all the feedback faffing about with nylon strings if I can

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1345639110' post='1779797']
should be here today so I'll let you know. I wasn't impressed by the weedwackers at all tbh and agree with the tension comment - they felt no less and maybe more than my thomastiks. The covering felt really grippy to me as well; I'm sure that didn't help my finger at all with the extra sideways force in slides.

Here's hoping Prestos will save the day - I really don't want to go back to all the feedback faffing about with nylon strings if I can
[/quote]

yeah i feel the same, i know everyone on here says various piezo pickups are fine but i have tried a few and on a stage where you have 30 seconds to set up and start playing, i really need the reliability and power of the magnetic pickup. i blend with a piezo but more often than not feedback creeps in and i end up turning down the piezo signal and relying on trusty old mag. its a shame cos it really does limit string choice. really interested in how you get on with the prestos, let me know.

I love my Prestos, but have never used them with a magnetic, would like to hear what they sound like.
I did a recording gig last night and the bass with the Prestos sounds at its best mic'd obviously. Live it sounds nice with the piezo, using a DHA eq, but just occasionally I wonder how a mag would fair?

Are you selling the KA Bob, or loaning it out? I'd be interested in either option.
The only problem is I have a Romberg bevel board, and the KA might not "fit"

Cheers,
John

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1345924461' post='1783291']
I love my Prestos, but have never used them with a magnetic, would like to hear what they sound like.
I did a recording gig last night and the bass with the Prestos sounds at its best mic'd obviously. Live it sounds nice with the piezo, using a DHA eq, but just occasionally I wonder how a mag would fair?

Are you selling the KA Bob, or loaning it out? I'd be interested in either option.
The only problem is I have a Romberg bevel board, and the KA might not "fit"

Cheers,
John
[/quote]

i have a romberg bevel too and the kent armstrong was measured to fit. however they made it wrong so doesnt really have correct shape at all. doesnt matter tho as all 4 pole pieces are adjustable for height so you can get an even sound across the strings with a bit of allen key experimentation. i would say go for it, even if the string spacing is wildly different you can compensate by bringing pole piece closer etc.

[quote name='BassInMyFace' timestamp='1345996869' post='1783921']

i have a romberg bevel too and the kent armstrong was measured to fit. however they made it wrong so doesnt really have correct shape at all. doesnt matter tho as all 4 pole pieces are adjustable for height so you can get an even sound across the strings with a bit of allen key experimentation. i would say go for it, even if the string spacing is wildly different you can compensate by bringing pole piece closer etc.
[/quote]

Thanks for this reply, very helpful.
Just a question on the KA sound. I've had a Schaller mag fitted to this bass in the past, and although I was happy with the sound, it lost a lot of the tone of the bass itself. Can you describe the general voicing of the KA?
Probably difficult to say I know,
Some say the Schaller makes the DB just sound like a fretless P, I'm not sure I completely agree with that assessment, but I understand why that would be said.

If the KA has the same result, then I'll stick with my piezo for live and mic for recording.

Thanks BIMF

John

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1346004398' post='1784020']
Thanks for this reply, very helpful.
Just a question on the KA sound. I've had a Schaller mag fitted to this bass in the past, and although I was happy with the sound, it lost a lot of the tone of the bass itself. Can you describe the general voicing of the KA?
Probably difficult to say I know,
Some say the Schaller makes the DB just sound like a fretless P, I'm not sure I completely agree with that assessment, but I understand why that would be said.

If the KA has the same result, then I'll stick with my piezo for live and mic for recording.

Thanks BIMF

John
[/quote]

havent had both the schaller and KA to compare but really they are magnetic pickups that work in the exact same way as a bass guitar. its not very double bassy sounding, not alot of the "woody" tone but loads of power and bottom end. very reliable and completely feedback resistant. thats why i use it, blended with a piezo it gives you dependable low end and adds lots of punch and articulation to the tone. if and when the piezo starts howling you can always dial it back in the mix and rely on the mag.

i would say the fretless p bass thing is a bit of a red herring. i think the KA sounds very neutral. it doesnt add any character and certainly no p bass tone. it sounds like a massive fretless bass (which is technically exactly right). its not exciting but its saved me alot of hassle.

incidently, have you seen the krivo pickup on Golihur? it has special windings that supposedly pickup up fingerboard vibration and body tone. supposed to be the most "natural" you can get with a mag.

As bassinmyface says you won't get a true voicing with a mag pick up and I certainly use a piezo or mic for recording. Live however, especially at high volumes you won't Hear the difference, obviously you will in a low volume jazz scenario...
I've had 2 schallers, quite handy having a volume but they're pretty cheap pickups. The Kent Armstrongs work fine with Romberg, mine has one as well and are far superior to schallers, clearer, more transparent tone. I use a Moses Graphite at the mo which is more or less like a KA but clearer again with slightly smoother response.

You can borrow the KA for a few weeks if you want to try it, I need to change the cable on it as it's a bit crackly at the mo but you'll be very welcome to.

I've finally tried the Prestos - what a difference! Great to play, not very low tension but lighter and even across the strings, E response is excellent, very clear, and response across the strings is very even. the feel of them is very nice under the fingers, low tack, unlike the bloody weedwckers, and tuning stability is amazing - I was expecting the usual slipping out of tune for a few days but they seem to have settled down already. very happy so far.

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1346048012' post='1784369']
As bassinmyface says you won't get a true voicing with a mag pick up and I certainly use a piezo or mic for recording. Live however, especially at high volumes you won't Hear the difference, obviously you will in a low volume jazz scenario...
I've had 2 schallers, quite handy having a volume but they're pretty cheap pickups. The Kent Armstrongs work fine with Romberg, mine has one as well and are far superior to schallers, clearer, more transparent tone. I use a Moses Graphite at the mo which is more or less like a KA but clearer again with slightly smoother response.

You can borrow the KA for a few weeks if you want to try it, I need to change the cable on it as it's a bit crackly at the mo but you'll be very welcome to.

I've finally tried the Prestos - what a difference! Great to play, not very low tension but lighter and even across the strings, E response is excellent, very clear, and response across the strings is very even. the feel of them is very nice under the fingers, low tack, unlike the bloody weedwckers, and tuning stability is amazing - I was expecting the usual slipping out of tune for a few days but they seem to have settled down already. very happy so far.
[/quote]

okey doke, think i will be making the purchase in time for last few festivals this year. gotcha in terms of feel but what is the tone like on them? ie is the pizz old school gut with lots of "bloom" and thump or a bit more straight down the line steel string growl? and the tone for slap? is it a harsh click or softer gut click?

I have a very old beaten up ply, which has quite a big sound anyway. The Prestos give a gut type thump, with a nice articulate boom, to my particular old girl.
I've not tried slapping her, and my technique isn't great for that, so I can't comment on how they sound/feel for slapping.

John