Why become a member? ×

Studio monitors help

Gonch1983

hay guys....

as a gift from my wife she gave me the money to go and buy a load of gear to build my own studio monitors. (more to shut me up as ive been banging on about it for a while)

anyhow this is more to do with the timber / wood to use.

so i have all the bits i need to build my studio monitors. however. i have been reading forum after forum about design and what wood to use. i have setled on the design which is fully sealed with seperate internal boxes for the main driver tweeter, and 1 just for the electronics..... now my problem is what timber to use. some have surgested MDF at is will absorb alot of the audio vibration, letting the speakers do the work ( i tend to agree) but others had surgested pine, poplar, softwoods or even hardwoods to enhance the sound. now with an instrument, this is a very good thing, but for a speaker you just want pure clarity without any sort of 'colouring'.......????

thoughts?

just so you know whats going in....

simple 2 way speakers,
bass/mid is a kevlar reinforced 6.5", double stacked ceramic magnet, iron boron core. 2" voice coil. 35hz to 15000hz.
high end, is a cone domed tweeter. round, nothing special except some nifty magnet that i dont want to try to pronounce. but is 10000 - 40000hz.
a kustom crosover that an old friend at klipcsh sent over for me. with a cutt off at 12500hz. i dont the the technicals of this but apparently costs 200 dollors a pair?
gold banana posts and jack sockets,
re using the audio foam out of my old monitors.

basically out sourcing these ive spent about £300. just in parts.

Gosh thats a challenge! The key to a good studio monitor (for me) is as close to an absolutely flat speaker response as possible. This takes some serious design, usually based on considerable R&D.

Any colouration whatsoever and you'll really have to get used to your speakers and potentially you'll be continually referencing known material through them as you mix. Studio monitors normally sound quite harsh and unpleasant compared to HiFi speakers. They are very different beasts. To that end I would say used whatever materials colour the sound the least.