Why become a member? ×

Static and Crackling

V4lve

Hi,

My OLP MM3 has developed a static/crackle problem which also appears to be effecting my pedals (weird). Over time the pots (Artec SE2A) develop static. Usually resolved with a bit of vigorous use of the offending knob and occasional squirt of contact cleaner. But recently the jack has started the occasional crackle and even my compressor pedal switch has too (not sure it's related but it's the same symptom). Unfortunately it's not easy to repeat. I have had the scratch plate off and jack out and wiggled stuff with it all plugged in (thinking it might be a dodgy connection) with no result. Wondering what to do next.

Ta

Sounds like it could be different causes, with similar symptoms. All possibles; is the pot static constant or only when you move it? Same question with your jack? Constant crackling, & moving to different components sounds more like it could be an earthing problem, while only when you move it sounds like the sweepers in the pot are oxidising in which case the contact cleaner you're doing should fix it - tho' I've never had to do such a thing repeatedly as it sounds you are.

Over time, depending on which type of jack it is, the hot contact (the bit the tip of the jack plug clicks against to contact) can give way thru constant plugging in & out. They can be bent back into place manually to increase the contact, but gently does it as you can crack the insulators at the bottom if you're too rough.

Well... I re-soldered the earths and made sure the jack has good contact and it still happens. Now notice that I get static in the signal when the pot is in the centre position, unless I work it a bit. Sometime I can pick up the bass and there is no problem. Other times it needs a good working. Wondering if i need to replace the pot.

I'd recommend using a Craig DeOxit product on the contacts - they do various formulas for the contacts and pots/faders - suggest Google and look at their website.
They do seem to do better long term than other 'Contact Cleaners' etc though you may want to look at products from Servisol or similar. But I have an aerosol of DeOxit in my cupboard and I'm usually sceptical of 'special' cleaners etc. It's not cheap but not 'hi-fi geek' expensive either. Seems to deal well with oxidised contacts as claimed eg on mixing desk inset points that have not been used for a while.
Following that I'd clean with Isopropyl alcohol which will remove any grease contamination.
I'd say any problem after that most likely due to mechanical issues of contacts losing 'spring' as Big Stu indicated. Bending contacts will help short term but you'll be better off replacing with quality components (Neutrik ; Switchcraft etc ) as space allows.
Good Luck.