Why become a member? ×

Eden WTX 264

Wylie

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1345014833' post='1772238']
That does look remarkably like my old WTX-260. In fact, if it wasn't for the "264" at top right, I'd think it was a 260.

What was it you were wanting to know?
[/quote]

Mainly, how the 'Enhance' feature works. What does it sound like? If it boosts EQ, is the boost overly harsh? What does the 'Mid-shift' do? And just your impressions, generally, about its performance and sound. Anything you can tell me would help.

Thanks.

Ted

The Enhance knob controls a special chip on the circuit board IIRC, and it changes the EQ in a very musical way. Eden claim that most musicians leave the EQ set flat and just tweak the Enhance knob. I quickly found that to be true in my case. I'm lazy, mind.

The Mid-shift changes the frequency range most affected by the relevant knob - see the notation above the knob in your photo.

As a package, the WTX-260 was genuinely impressive at the time. All the knobs (bar one) were multi-function, and in a [i][b]useful [/b][/i]way, too. Having two Aux inputs on a unit this size was a nice touch, as was not skimping on the FX loop. The WTX-260 ran on any mains power, had a headphones out, blah blah blah.

The only issue I had with mine was that it didn't have much headroom, and could run out of oomph a bit too easily. I replaced mine with a WTX-500 and was very happy with it, but it was stolen from my car. Then I tried an OTB and fell in love with its tone and simplicity, so I ended up selling the replacement WTX-500 because I wasn't using it.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1345052843' post='1772963']

As a package, the WTX-260 was genuinely impressive at the time. All the knobs (bar one) were multi-function, and in a [i][b]useful [/b][/i]way, too. Having two Aux inputs on a unit this size was a nice touch, as was not skimping on the FX loop. The WTX-260 ran on any mains power, had a headphones out, blah blah blah.

The only issue I had with mine was that it didn't have much headroom, and could run out of oomph a bit too easily. I replaced mine with a WTX-500 and was very happy with it, but it was stolen from my car. Then I tried an OTB and fell in love with its tone and simplicity, so I ended up selling the replacement WTX-500 because I wasn't using it.

Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Very helpful, thanks, Jack. I would ideally like to set EQ flat with this amp, as I do with my Hartke head, which EQs effectively but with a rather hard tone added. I play in a trio of violin, piano and bass, no drums; so perhaps headroom won't be a problem.

tg