Why become a member? ×

How to connect a preamp

Ska Man

Hi Guys,
Just wondering if anyone can help me out here. Ive got a Hartke HA4000 head and a Peavey Max valve preamp and Im just wondering if there is a right way and a wrong way to connect the two. I have been told not to connect anything other than a bass guitar to the Hartke front input. I would really like to get the valve qualities to come through from the preamp though. Is this even possible or do I need to run it into a power amp?
Thanks in advance :)

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1344841585' post='1769823']
I think you'd take the output of the preamp into the effects return of the Hartke which would bypass the Hartke preamp making it effectively a power amp.
[/quote]
What he said.

It could be that the Hartke is marked for pre-amp out/power amp in but likely as not it'll be an effects loop which you'd simply get an instrument cable/patch lead (not a short speaker cable) and go from the output of the Peavey into the effects return of the Hartke; obviously then plugging your bass into the Peavey (sorry if the last bit is unnecessary but best put that in just in case you are a novice).