Why become a member? ×

need inspiration, short but sweet solo/showing off examples?

BassInMyFace

anyone know of any nice examples (vid/music) of a short (4-8 bars) solo that will get a crowd going. we all know what they say about bass solos but i reckon there must be some good examples out there of the DB ripping it up and getting a great reaction.
i have a few opportunities to stretch out and introduce myself to some very enthusiastic audiences but more often than not i do a nice swing or slap passage that builds toward the end only for it to have no real finale if you know what i mean. often end up in a big downwards slide that feels anticlimactic. i know how technical stuff often fails on a musical level but sometimes you need a bit of showmanship to really push an audiences buttons.

what technique or flourish can i whip out to get the crowd going? any examples/inspiration would be great.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='BassInMyFace' timestamp='1344377989' post='1763799']
ummmmmmmm i cant really describe how perfectly you have answered my question. thats exactly what im talking about!

you sir get 10,000 awesome points.
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, how did you get on with your search for a technique or flourish? Did you get to grips with Bob Haggart's masterpiece?

[quote name='invicta59' timestamp='1348153996' post='1810113']
Just out of curiosity, how did you get on with your search for a technique or flourish? Did you get to grips with Bob Haggart's masterpiece?
[/quote]

still planning to get my drummer to beat my strings a la the bobcats, havent got round to it yet tho. so far tho i have thrown a little slap in there to keep it interesting. also chucked in a few little rip offs of famous basslines, that always gets a nice crowd reaction. for instance, in a drum and bassy type track i go into roni size brown paper bag bass line. goes down a storm for all the dnb wreckheads in bristol!!! need to watch intonation for that one tho, on busy stage with poor montoring i have gone so far out of tune without realising!!

anyone else got any fresh ideas for bass showboating??