Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Warwick SSI 5er pick up problems

Hi

i've got an old 'wick SSI with Barts that I can't get to sound they way I want it to...the problem is that there is no top end whatsoever...nothing above 3K. I just replaced the old preamp (which seemed to be put together by some of the previous owners form various odd parts) with a spanking new MEC and that helped somewhat...at least I got back the bass register. Any ideas?

Some Barts (the older designs, I think) are a bit "dark" in tone. I put some in a SSI, and they came out pretty quickly. A nice enough sound but easily lost in a gig. Some of their current designs have a different voicing - I also had a great MM style Bart, and there was plenty of top and presence.

I ended up with EMG's in mine, with an Aguilar preamp - nice, but I'd recommend the original "boost only" version of the pre, as the the cut option didn't ever get used. The EMG's are very similar to MECs. Just a bit more better (as my son says).

BB

[quote name='The Burpster' post='187018' date='Apr 28 2008, 09:54 AM']Whilst I find it hard to belive that somone could fry a set of Barts its not beyond possibilty (de-magnetized them!) .. have you checked the output of the Barts?[/quote]

Yes, I had the tech check to outputs when he put in the new pre and according to him they were fine...however...he also managed to wire the the treble know backwards (so that cutting means boosting and vice versa)...!