Why become a member? ×

P bass pickup size

tomhunt

Yo!!

Was just clearing out my old room at my dads house and came across a p bass body which was made by Vintage. I don't have any pickups for it so was going to buy some and have a little project build..

What I want to know is, are all p bass pickups a standard size or are they all different? I want to be wiring up some fender pups to it.

Any help will be appreciate :)

Tom

In theory they should be - I mean, if a P-Bass isn't an industry standard I don't know what is. Having said that - I recently swapped pickups in my Squier Matt Freeman Precision and installed a set of Wizard Thumpers. The Wizard casings were too big so I had to change them with the Squier's. So the internal part of the pickup was the same size but the external wasn't. Hope that helps.

Standard Fender types are normally about the same size but some may vary by plus or minus a mil or two. Wizards for example have been reported as being a smidge tight for some pickguards.

edit : there you go, beaten to it :D

Edited by Ou7shined

I put some SPB1's in an old Korean Squier. It was a bugger to fit though, as the cut out in the wood was not deep enough. After a bit of trial and error managed to get it to fit in the shallow hole without taking a chisel to it, and doing some Mark D Philips improvements on it.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1343680270' post='1753687']
Does your Vintage have a P type scratch plate or just a P pickup shaped hole in he body? If it's the latter, you'd be best to avoid the type of pickups with the larger metal base plate, as it won't fit in the hole.
[/quote]

Cheers for the replies guys..

It's got a p bass style scratch plate, yes. Might be an idea to measure up and check the size with pups I want..? Looking at getting a fender 62 set.

Tom