Why become a member? ×

Does "fingertip"/fretting position differ between bass - guitar.

Rich44

I've always been told to "fret with your fingertip", and typical of me I've never done it, it feels totally unnatural so I've followed the "if it hurts, don't do it approach.

I'm wondering what peoples definition of "fingertip fretting" is so have included a very poorly drawn MS Paint diagram (that in hindsight looks like a thumb) to gauge people's opinions:

I myself fret (as well as type) as shown in "B". I've tried fretting like with "A" (how I see most guitarists do) but find the thickness/weight of the string to be very uncomfortable (to the point where I felt I was "hitting the bone" underneath/bruised feeling); I don't have much fat on my "tips", instead have pretty bony fingers. I'd understand on very light gauges/guitar strings/flatwounds, but I just don't see how it can be comfortable on thick bass stings.

Is B considered "fingertip" fretting, as I've heard from many people that this is necessary to develop a quick, clean playing style.

I'm very naughty and don't have a set technique. I tend to find it differs depending on what I'm playing. If I'm playing something slow I tend to be more B or even C, if I'm doing something technical and/or fast I go A. I always thought that A was supposed to be bad technique on Bass and believed I was doing it wrong.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1343582531' post='1752337']
I'm very naughty and don't have a set technique. I tend to find it differs depending on what I'm playing. If I'm playing something slow I tend to be more B or even C, if I'm doing something technical and/or fast I go A. I always thought that A was supposed to be bad technique on Bass and believed I was doing it wrong.
[/quote]

On the contrary, I was always told A was good technique as it's seen as more precise/you aren't catching the other strings with your fingers. I'd definitely do it if I was playing chords on a guitar/acoustic with light strings, but on bass it's masochistic!

That said the benefit of C is you can lay the fingers flat and use them to mute, and with wider fretboards it makes a lot more sense.

I was just trying to gauge if B was considered "bad technique", considering its not what I'd class as the fingertip.