Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nuts!

bremen

Ladies, gentlemen.

I've just broken the nut on my P; the bit below the G string has disappeared. I don't know how it happened, I wasn't playing it at the time, [Homer]it was like that when I got here [/Homer]. This is the second time I've broken a nut (last time was on another bass, just above the B, maybe because the string was too thick for the slot). Anyway. These were corian as originally fitted.

Any thoughts on what I should replace them with, something a bit tougher? I've been offered something called Graphtech that claims to be low friction hence easier to tune. Or brass. Are there any issues with brass?

Thanks!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='186570' date='Apr 27 2008, 04:10 PM']Brass will change your open string sound a bit in theory, and graphtec is very brittle, so you have to make sure you file it to just the right size, otherwise you'll have same problem again.[/quote]

Thanks, could do without brittleness. Brass seems most likely.

Graphtech will be closest to your original sound. Be careful with it and it wont break...

Brass is indeed bullet proof but WILL change the tone of the bass....

An option you haven't mentioned is Bone... very hard and will sound more like your original nut than brass.

FYI i'm fitting a Graphtec to my P project..